New Grizzly G0796 Mill For $4750?

Hi Jim:

I teach this to my students every quarter according to the universally accepted right hand rule. Turn your right hand palm, up. Extend your thumb, index and middle fingers. Your middle finger points to Z+, Your index finger points to Y+ and your thumb points to X +. These are tool movements, if you think of the table moving you will have major problems when you start programming. Though in reality the table moves, the relationship to part home (G54-G59) and current drawing conventions dictate that the tool moves relative to the part. This is easiest to grasp when you think of the tool moving. I teach the "normal convention". It is the tool moving. The end result is identical to what you have written, but everyone thinks of moving the tool relative to the work, not the table.

Axes are labelled thus:
Primary linear axes are X, Y and Z, Z is the axis of the spindle, X axis is the longest axis perpendicular to Z and Y is the second longest axis perpendicular to Z.
Secondary linear axes are parallel to the primary axes and are labelled U if parallel to X, V if parallel to Y and W if parallel to Z.
Primary Rotary axes are labelled A if they rotate about X, B if they rotate about Y and C if they rotate about Z.

I did not make this up. It is standard. Open any CNC programming manual and you will see these conventions.

W is actually a linear secondary axis parallel to Z, not a rotary axis.

We had a tough time with this very issue of tool changing on automated Bridgeports not long ago. My answer was exactly what you suggested, put a scale with a DRO on the knee and use it to adjust for different tool lengths giving the full 5 inches of quill travel to the tool movement. This of course requires repeatable tool insertion depths like using Tormach tool holders allows. That is what we came up with, Tormach, do you have another way of controlling tool lengths?

Barry

Barry & Jim: you are both saying the same thing.

Jim is talking about the table movement vs the cutter movement. Barry is talking about the cutter "movement" vs the table position. So one is (of course) backwards of the other.

I find Barry's way easier to keep track of and make less mistakes that way. Thinking about table movement tends to make you cut the wrong direction. Thinking about where the cutter is going next on your part is much more intuitive.

Barry is correct: A is rotary axis. Haven't seen it identified any other way.

W is the Z movement of the table on a vertical boring machine.

Last edited:
Berry you are of course correct, BUT, it makes my head hurt trying to think in terms of tool movement when it never moves except up and down. Now on my router it's a different story, the table moves in the Y axis (which BTW is the long axis on that machine), and the tool moves in the X and Z axis. To make things even more confusing I do 90% of my work in the -X, -Y quadrant on both machines.

To handle different length tools in the mill, I set ''0'' on the longest tool, and adjust the knee in the - direction (up) for the height differences. That way I don't have to mess around with the adjusting depths in the CAM program.

I'm not worried about the wait, I have a ZX45 clone mill currently so this would be an upgrade.

Hi Jim: I love programming in Quadrant III. That makes the fixed jaw of my vise Y zero which means no zero shift for parts varying in thickness.

Sanddan: Yeah, that makes sense. I think this is a deal worth waiting for.

Barry

Barry-

any updates on your mill yet? I see Grizzly website still shows it as "unavailable".

Hello tmarks11:

I spoke to Grizzly on August 14. The "expected delivery date has now been pushed out to September 11. I asked the customer service representative to speak with someone who actually knows what is going on with these mills but she did not know who that might be. I got the same response last time I spoke to the customer Service Supervisor. They told me that the only way to get someone higher up was to use the email address csr@grizzly.com. I did that stating that I needed to talk to someone who knew why Grizzly sells items they do not have. I believe they should wait until they have items in their warehouse or at least on the boat before selling them. Isn't selling something you do not have fraud? Anyway, this morning I got an email from Grizzly stating that someone who was in charge would contact me within 1 business day. This is the same response I got the last time I sent an email to csr@grizzly .com. They didn't contact me at all then and I do not expect them to contact me this time either.

I considered getting a refund but currently Bridgeport type mills in pretty sad condition in my area (Greater Seattle area) are going for about 25% more than the new mill that Grizzly is selling but not delivering. So I guess I will continue to wait. At work the guys say "Ol Barry over there believes in unicorns, the Easter Bunny , and cheap mills from Grizzly".

That is what I know right now.

Has anybody else put money on one of these mills?

Barry

Barry do you need the larger work cube or would a PM935TV meet your needs? They just got a shipment in at their warehouse August 8th, they are shipping now, I don't know if any are left. Its more money but made in Taiwan and several members here own one.

Personally I'm done with China machines.

Barry, take a look at the Portland Craigslist for mills, there are a few around here. No sales tax would pay for your trip down here to get one.

Isn't selling something you do not have fraud?
Actually it is not. The "30 day rule applies". The vendor must provide a projected shipping date that they have a reasonable belief they can achieve, and then are required to provide the customer with an update when they miss that date (or when 30 days expire). That update must provide a new shipping date. If the vendor is unable to promise a date ("indefinite shipment date"), than the law requires them to cancel the order after an additional 30 days unless they contact the customer (or vice versa) and approve continuing to wait.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...s-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

Some people think there is a law against charging credit cards until shipment occurs, but that is untrue. Most credit card agencies, however, make that requirement of vendors who use their services.

...Its more money but made in Taiwan and several members here own one. Personally I'm done with China machines.

Matt also sells the 949TS and 949TV, Taiwan machines made in the same factory as Sharp/Acra. If you dig in the couch cushion and find an extra 3 or 4 thousand dollars, it would be money well spent. :D

If you could live with 24" X travel (vs the 29" of the full size), than the 935TS might work for you (and is reasonably priced for a Taiwanese machine).

At this rate, it seems that the Grizzly G0796 is following the pattern of the 755 when it was first introduced... didn't actually become available until the next year...

Last edited:
Back