New Lathe User - Just Bought An Atlas MK2 6x18

Save your money, a new nut (and they are pricey) will only give an incremental improvement. On another note, they used plastic gib strips on some of those models, you might want to replace with brass or steel- but most likely you'll have to make them. If you order them from Clausing you'll probably get the plastic ones again.
Your avatar is wild- is that a goat attacking your (kid) sister? LOL
Mark

Thanks again guys, mucho. I'll keep digging around and playing with this machine, it's lots of fun.

The avatar is just a photo I ran across some time ago. I though it was hilarious, so saved it and ended up using it. :grin big:

Is this the only oil cup for the spindle bearings? (under the back gear lever) I can't see any others, so assume this one oils both bearings?

i-hBv3M6J-L.jpg

I don't have a MK2 and can't say for certain. But the headstock illustrated parts page in the 10100 manual (both early and late) only shows one oil cup. A note on the Lubrication instructions page says:

NOTE: To lubricate spindle bearings, fill oiler until oil seeps out of side of side of headstock underneath spindle.

"bearings" is plural.

If you do not have a 10100 manual, you can download a PDF from Downloads. The main difference between Early and Late is that the carriage is modified so that you can adjust the back lash in the carriage traverse mechanism.

I've started disassembling the carriage and cross/compound slides for cleaning and relubing. Looks like some kind of plastic or nylon gibs in this thing. I recall reading (somewhere, maybe this forum) that these cheesy gibs are not great, and if you order new ones from Clausing they'll just send you the same.

Any experience with making replacements of something like brass? Or is there a drop in metal gib from another Atlas model that will work? They don't look simple in design, kinda wedge shaped (haven't fully disassembled yet, but can see them in there...).

make sure it is not Turcite... which is often used to recondition ways.

David

I've started disassembling the carriage and cross/compound slides for cleaning and relubing. Looks like some kind of plastic or nylon gibs in this thing. I recall reading (somewhere, maybe this forum) that these cheesy gibs are not great, and if you order new ones from Clausing they'll just send you the same.

Any experience with making replacements of something like brass? Or is there a drop in metal gib from another Atlas model that will work? They don't look simple in design, kinda wedge shaped (haven't fully disassembled yet, but can see them in there...).

They are plastic and Clausing will sell you the exact same thing. I made a set of gibs for my 3950 and a 12 x 36 Sears machine. They work better in my opinion. That being said, I purchased a larger machine shortly after and use it all the time instead so the length of use with the metal homeade ones was limited. I made them out of steel. I polished the faces smooth and ground them by hand for the angle. I'd recommend doing it. Maybe someone will have a better idea of metal to use other than steel. I makes a big difference getting the plastic ones out.

Brass would not be a good choice compared to steel. The coefficient of static friction is slightly larger for brass on steel than it is for steel on steel. There is another list member who has made a set out of steel for, coincidentally, a MK2. He reported a noticeable decrease in movement of the cross slide while cutting. And an improvement in surface finish. I managed to acquire drawings for the early steel versions of the two steel ones used in the 618 and 101.07301 up until the change to plastic. And also of the two used in the 10" and 12" prior to about 1958. There are two of the latter in the mail to me to try in my 3996. We have discussed him making them for sale, both gibs in both sizes. Although they are not that difficult to make, they aren't trivial, either, because of the trapezoidal cross section. And they do take a little time. If we decide to go ahead with the project, I'll post them in the proper For Sale forum.

I beg to differ about brass gibs- I made one for my MK2 compound and it's smooth as butter, and tight. Conversely, I have an original steel one in the cross slide and it has never had as pleasing an action to my fingers. There's a "grittiness" that the brass one does not have. I've checked the steel one for burrs and polished it. Both are well greased and adjusted. Only downside of brass I can see is they would tend to wear faster.
Mark S.

Last edited:
Well, personal perceptions differ, I guess. Are you actually using grease on the gibs?

Back