New PM932M-PDF on the way - Finally

RebelJD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,
I'm new to forum and soon to be owner of a 932M-PDF. This machine was ordered on March 1 2021 and there have been lots delays due to shipping container issues, COVID-19, etc. I'm told it is at PM and due to ship to me soon, hopefully in a week or two. I did a lot of research before I ordered it due to favorable comments about the machine and PM. However, I also saw some issues with sand in the grease, etc. Those posts were several years old so my assumption is that those issues have been resolved, I sure hope so.

With a little time to think about things before the machine shows up I'd like to get some feedback on things I should check before I put the machine to use. Obviously I'll need to tram the head, check the DRO's, etc but what about checking the internals. Should I inspect the gearbox, PDF etc.

Also, has anyone experienced any problems with the capacitors on the spindle motor and z-axis motor. I keep spare capacitors on hand for my Air Conditioner due to failures periodically. I'm considered stocking spare capacitors for mill to keep any down time to a minimum.

Lastly I'm considering some sort of power draw bar and would be interested any experience with that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

I have the same mill ordered, got the same message you did a few days ago. very excited. I have also read about casting sand being left inside the gearbox and painted over. only to come loose in the warm oil and ruin the bearings. have read this online several times about PM and other chinese gearhead mills. makes me want to take it apart before I even run it.

I got the same type of message for my PM-932M-BASIC yesterday. I ordered mine on June 20th.

Looking forward to getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took delivery of a 932PDF and 1236 lathe about 9 months ago. The lathe was really clean (other than shipping grease/oil) but the mill was another story. Sand in the grease on the Z axis screw. Sand in the power quill feed. Sand on the Z axis ways. X and Y were pretty clean and the gearbox seemed clean. The mill has a lot of time on it and no caps blown yet. Not sure the Z axis motor has any.

wonderful. this is good info though and confirms my suspicions. thank you.

Yota and George R, perhaps we should compare notes when ours arrive. It was disturbing to read what av8ter had to say.

Congratulations guys!
It sure is a shame you have to question the brand new condition.

Yota and George R, perhaps we should compare notes when ours arrive. It was disturbing to read what av8ter had to say.

Congratulations guys!
It sure is a shame you have to question the brand new condition.
Well, I look at it this way. A Grizzly G0755 with stand is basically the same as the PM932M with stand. Both have a cast stand, power X and Z with no power down feed on the quill. The Grizz comes in at $4575.00 delivered. The PM comes to your door at $3950.00. That's 625 bucks cheaper. But, the Grizzlies don't seem to have as many complaints about the grit. So, I look at it as I made 625 bucks in my pocket to tear it down and clean it up. In the process I got to see how it's built and fine tune things on reassembly. Plus, for what I do I have to have the power down feed on the quill. two thirds of my paying jobs are using the PDF. Plus, the service from PM has been outstanding.

pre-covid chinese machinery having these issues, wonder how their "skilled labor" situation is now? as well as materials supply? hey, I knew all this before I ordered, agonized over getting a bridgeport but they are just too colossal. it is what it is and we'll deal with it. I went with PM because they have the best warranty, are reputed to have a handle on the quality of manufacture (more than say Bolton) and they do have some great people on staff. hell I got an email reply from Matt on a sunday a few weeks ago. it'll be great.

Well I just got confirmation that mine has shipped. That is sooner than I expected so that is great. :)
I do hear a lot of good things about PM post sale service, but hopefully I won't need it.
Honestly I'd probably take a deep look at any machine I bought, particularly coming from China. That's the world we live in today. Too bad someone like Matt can't build something domestically that is as cost effective as imports.
I'm really looking forward to getting the mill up and running, I have a lot projects to get done...............

Back