New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Tank, fenders, and side covers all hanging in thr garage awaiting color. But, my knee suddenly started making bad sounds and discomfort weekend before last, and is not improving. That, weather, and a church merger (requiring a lot of activity that should be avouded to rest the knee) are throwing the brakes on progess right now. I did buy the clear coat for it. The frame to hang it all while painting is ready to put up. Might go to the doctor tomorrow to see about a shot.

I imagine you'll paint outside, so warmer and less humid weather might be preferable. I may be out of touch as far as the new paints, but I found the paint I tried to use back in the dark ages (think '60s and '70s) didn't stick good on cold metal.
In any event, I'm eagerly awaiting pics of a finished bike.

Either fully outside, or in the shed that we store the Kawasaki Mule in. If I do it in the shed, have to hang tarps all around to protect the wife's gardening equipment from overspray. If outside, have to use a frame made from old boat canopy parts to hang them. Either way, fully open to prevailing temperature and humidity. I'll spray lacquer (acetone is the primary thinner) for color and after a couple weeks cure (in my upstairs library - warm and dry) hit it with 2K ckear from rattle-cans. Humidity will cause any of it to have a poor finish, and if temps aren't high enough the lacquer takes a long time to flash. Rare are the days in East Tennessee that you find the correct conditions. Either too cold, or when it finally gets warm enough, it turns into a rain forrest. Then, there are bugs, pollen, leaves. But, it will happen.

Our church was down to about 24 average due to circumstances beyond our control (but fully in Gods plan!) Turns out another congregation with like doctrine really needed facilities for worship, so we merged. Last two Sundays, we averaged 135!

In motorcycle related news, - I painted the tins for the T150V today! Initially hoped to just get color on the tunnel and bottom of the tank, but it was going so well that all of the color is on with two good coats. Everything in the garage (with doors open) right now to cure for handling, and tomorrow the parts will go upstairs to my den for a couple weeks full cure (Duplicolor lacquer). Then I'll take them back to the shed for a couple coats of 2k clear. Color is looking spot-on to my wishes. The only boo-boo that I can detect is on the tank, where I let it touch my shirt while carrying it back to the garage. Very mild, and some of it seems to be self-healing. I would consider a bit of wet sanding it, but - it's right where the badge goes, so shouldn't be visible!

I'll probably not be so happy tomorrow. The knee is already complaing about being up and around on it so much today. Got an Ortho appointment on the 10th.

Frenders and side covers are in my den on the second story of our house to keep them warm and the lacquer curing. The tank had a small place that I was not pleased with, so it was wet sanded and yesterday after church (and a very enjoyable lunch with our minister) it received a good coat of lacquer in that area. It will move up from the garage to the den tomorrow. I have located the tank badges and bolts and checked for fit. Need to pick up 10-32 SS flatheads for the badges, but they should be in stock at our local Ace hardware.

Re-tapped the badge mount holes to 10-32 (supposed to be 2BA domed head countersunk). Will be using 10-32 SS socket hex flat heads. The purists will hate it, but the bike also has a spliced-on Chinabay rear fender, Honda switch gear on aftermarket bars, GoldWing headlight bucket, combination reg/rect, and (this drives them nuts!) NEGATIVE ground!

Ain’t that the truth. I get as much enjoyment building what I’m gonna ride as riding it. Not knocking anybody that just buys a bike then riding same.

Back