New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Beautiful day today, and I really should have been riding. Instead, after doing a few hour's work on the daughter's house, spent about six hours scrubbing the frame and components. I think that I finally have it to the point that it can be sanded, wire brushed etc, and then wiped with acetone before priming.

Still no machine work. Been using Harbor Freight plastic bristle abrasive wheels to strip and de-rust all of those small parts, brackets, boxes, etc. Then with them and the rattle-can warmed, go outside to put some etching primer on them to prevent flash rust. Actually got quite a few of them painted with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy last week before the weather went sour. Main frame loop and rear subframe still need done, but will require a full day when stripping and painting can be done outside. Got in a ride 100 miles to my home town and back, too (on the Spyder).

Switched to a knotted wire wheel that a good friend gave me for my angle grinder and it really zips through the paint on the frame! Rust needs a bit of abrasive wheel, but there is very little of that. As soon as good weather returns, should be able to finish up the frame. Might go for a second coat on the loop. Rattle can sez to recoat within 30 minutes or after one week. No real rush, so might do that on Tuesday. Then no work for a week while we go to a reunion.

As paint dries, I check other things. In this case, the rear wheel. Brakes look fine, but bearings feel awful and the speedo drive is shot. The bearings are open with no shields or seals to keep grease in. I will purchase sealed bearings to replace them. To remove the bearings a driver tool 4" long with three steps is needed. Having a ~2" x 18" aluminum round, that should be no problem. Except chopping off 4" of it with a hack saw is harder than I expected.

Last edited:
Any photos of the progress that you can share?

Any photos of the progress that you can share?
A bunch of boxes of parts and the motor with a contractor trash bag over it and rolled under the work bench is not really a photo subject. Maybe I'll get a photo of the painted parts in a week or so (when the frame's second coat is cured).
38a9ac98e55d7459103098ef36b35d96.jpg

Spent about an hour yesterday truing the hacksaw cut and taking initial cuts on the diameter. Things go slow on the little 7x10 HF lathe.

Rear bearings needed change. Triumph includes a drawing for the tool to drive old bearings out in the service manual. Had a big chunk of 2.5" aluminum stock, so I commenced to make a LOT of shavings getting it down to .640, .78, and 1.8 diameter steps that made both a tool to drive out and a tool to drive in.

One more coat of paint needed on the frame. If the wind isn't too bad I should be able to get that on this afternoon.
ad2a308af561576833ed1d9b0df7058c.jpg

Got the nasty rust and staining off of the rear wheel using my old tried-and true method. Aluminum foil balls and vinegar. Then polished with some chrome polish. Doesn't put chrome back of course, but removes the rust and stain very well and leaves the remaining chrome shining. Oh yes, also requires a bit of elbow grease. Frame is painted and hanging in the shed to cure for a week.

Had to make a mandrel for drilling out the lock strike for the forks. The original was too small and not aligned correctly. To get it in line (on the edge of the hole), I made an aluminum mandrel that fit in the (removed) lock hole Nd centered my 3/8" bit where the hole belonged. This bike fights me every step!

But, the two frame pieces are now re-joined, forks installed, swing arm installed, center stand. Waiting for shock bushings to mount them up and the rear wheel.

Front wheel, with new bearings, is now on. Once again, a struggle. Cleaned the hub between spokes of decades of grease and grime. At least the front rim still looks good. Tire has little air in it, but will be replaced before she is ridden. Once the engine is in and tested Ok, tires will be ordered. Waiting for rear shock bushings to mount shocks and rear wheel.
ba4b70f3b116988122e52a9d42734089.jpg

Back