New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Good news this morning was that there is no evidence of water in the oil pressure relief (regulator) valve. A little work every day, and a couple years from now she will be on the road. Later today I have to pick up the Hunley from the HD dealer where she was in a photo shoot yesterday.

That is great news. Keep those updates and photos coming!!

Cool thread, following along.

I bookmarked the Hylomar site also, looks like some good stuff!

Tim

Have used Hylomar on Harley engine cases for years. I use Ford grey sealant on most everything else. It was designed for use on there diesels, and is the best I have come across. Mike

Took the covers off the rocker boxes today. RTV of course, but none made it inside.The one inch 5/16 NF bolts on the intake side had both stripped threads and were just hinting at a hold. Measured and tested - they will be replaced by 1.25 inch bolts. Visual inspection in the rocker box area and through the valve clearance test holes looks clean as a pin. Cleaned the advance mechanism and points mounting plate. Cleaning gaskets off is made more fun with the RTV added in. Finding that carb & choke cleaner loosens its grip and a brass rotary brush in a cheap Harbor Freight moto tool makes it look good.

1.25" 5/16 NF worked great. And, I find that they originally had 1/4-20 bolts! So - they had stripped the originals (or broke off), drilled and tapped to 5/16 NF, then stripped two of those! Luckily, the remaining threads on the intake side give plenty of engagement for the 6 ft-lb specified torque. Also, the cover appears to be a chrome-plated aftermarket part with a nasty ragged edge hanging down on the outside circumference. Tempted to lay it on a plate with 600 grit and smooth it out, but fear that would initiate a chrome peel.

Last edited:
Tthe carbs have now enjoyed a relaxing soak in the ultrasonic. I use acetone in a small container (sink at normal level with water) for initial cutting of fuel residue, then put the parts in the main bath with a cap full of "Micro 90" - a labware surfactant that smells like horse urine - for further cleaning. I was surprised to find that the carbs have a heavy (and of course, peeling) chrome plating on the bodies, bowls, mounting frame and linkage.

Finding all three float valve seats eroded is a bummer. Guess I'll need to turn a cutting tool. Already turned a lapping tool, but the pitting is so deep that they need cut first. This will change the fuel height, but the seats in these Amals are press-in, and can be tapped with a drift from the bottom or top to adjust.

Beginning to feel comfortable that I've found and removed all of the RTV, but still staying vigilant. It has chrome rocker covers, and as with most chromed aftermarket parts the chroming poorly done. I this case, the chrome almost "drips" an edge down over the gasket surface interfering with gasket sealing . May have been the reason that the end bolts were stripped, bored and tapped from 1/4 to 5/16, then stripped again. Luckily they only used 1" long bolts giving ~3/16 engagement. But, the holes are bored and tapped 5/16 NF 1.25" deep, so swapping in 1.25" bolts gives enough grab for the speced 6 ft-lb torque. Put the covers on my surfacing rig (just a piece of plate glass with 600 grit spay glued to it) and lapped them. Not all the way down to bare alloy, but enough to knock the interfering ridge off.

Yesterday I needed ~7" of all-thread to use in blocking off the bearings on my RD400c wheels when I take them to get the paint blasted off today. Then I spotted an old aluminum bar in the off-cuts bucket. Turned and threaded each end, saving a trip to the hardware store. The other wheel has the remainder of the one piece of all thread in that bucket. Rubber vacuum hose jambed over the disk mount studs protecting them.

Would love to see photos of all that ;)

Back