New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Ok, I think the problem is located. Seems when setting the points, I backed off the valves to ease rotating it. Need to set them back properly so the compression isn't zero on #2 and 3 (and 50 on #1). After church tomorrow that might get attacked. Come on, can't be getting that absent-minded this early.

Actually found the valves very close, and compression was good - UNTIL I INSTALLED THE LIFTER COVERS! Months ago, I had installed caps on the valve stems to hopefully prevent the ends from getting further chewed up. This made the intake adjusters obviously hit the rocker covers, so the square drives were cut off and slots made to adjust them. The exhaust adjusters didn't seem to be hitting - WRONG! They were holding the exhust valves open. The exhaust adjusters have now been pulled and given the same modification.

Did it work? Well, it barks now and although it hasn't stayed running (very hot and humid for the old man to be kicking this afternoon), there is noise and fumes!

A seat for an OIF Triumph was purchased last year at our club auction. It fits the frame well, but the hinges don't match up. I bought one OIF hinge and tried it in the rear position, but it left too large a gap from the seat to the tank. With the hinge in the front position it looked much better. Cut an offset hinge from 2" angle iron and welded a bored-out nut to it for the pivot. Cut the latch strike off and re-positioned it using 3/16 pop-rivets.

I had purchased a used tank for it. Ugly paint and a ~3/4" x 5" crease in the right front corner - typical of a fork crash past the stops. Used the HF stud gun and slide hammer to pull ~80% of it out but also pulled two holes in it from the studs. Then silver soldered the holes and pressure tested.

Next the paint has to come off, and it must be either epoxy or well-cured enamel as it seems totally immune to acetone, MEK, paint thinner, or gasoline. Some mechanical stripping with heat, scraping, wire wheel, and various grits in the orbital should do it. Not going to waste my time on the chemical strppers offered these days.

Also need to sand blast the chrome off of the front (from some unknown Japanese bike) and rear (spliced from a T150 front half and Chinabay rear extension) fenders so they can be primed. But, still don't know what color to paint it.

I just listened to your video of it running. It sounds good.

Choosing a color for me is always a problem.

Tank is finally stripped with a single coat of etching primer to prevent flash rust until ready to Bondo it.
Do you have an objection to epoxy primers, or do you just need more fill? Pardon if this was explained already.

I'm using rattle-can primer and will probably use either water borne paint or lacquer for color coats (still to decide on a color). 2K SprayMax rattle-can clear coat. I don't have the need or room for an epoxy primer setup. I do about one bike a year as a hobby. Rattle-can etching primer does fine for my needs.

Back