New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Painted the awful bubble gum welded headers with barbecue black and reinstalled. Waiting for mufflers to be delivered so I can hear what the engine really sounds like over the exhaust note. If it sounds good, we surge ahead with order for tires, paint, and a left side cover. If not, the engine comes out for full rebuild. That's what I get for buying a bike that the PO doesn't even know the history of. He bought it with a Bonneville as a package deal.

One of the two mufflers that I ordered (at the same time) came in from Amazon. The other is due Wednesday along with clamps for the joint. Then I'll be able to hear the engine over the exhaust (hopefully). Not a classic look, but going for function (and cheap).
ad47c5286a239d9cbd0966a8f267da41.jpg

Hopefully the engine is still good. Looking forward to hearing a video of it running.

Started it up this morning (well, after moving the timing a LOT to get it to start). This is with cheap-o mufflers so that the engine can be heard over the exhaust. Sounded pretty good to me at first, but after it warmed up a bit stared to hear what sounded to me like piston slap. Ignition is probably WAY out of time. Had to actually knock the points cam loose and rotate it clockwise (retarded?) maybe 20 degrees to get it to start. Don't know how I got it that far off static timing. At the end, besides moving the idle too low, I think it also ran out of gas. Nice to see it starting to bake the paint on the headers, but it is also leaking badly from rocker box/head joint in the middle and from the head/cylinder joint on left side.

Happy with the running and sound, but the oil leaks are way too big (Yes, I know it is common of Triumphs). So, pulled the top end and jugs to find many isdues such as mangled dowels and a base bolt that appears to have stripped completly and was just jambed in. Also, all four long head mount studs were only screwed about half-way into the block because they were jambed in against swarf. Brake cleaner, air, re-tap (through the Helicoils), clean again and wire wheel the stud threads - like butter all the way in.

The base bolt will require a helicoil, which is ordered along with gaskets, dowels, etc. Planning to anneal and reuse the head gasket.
798a79a7f62afb2f271a9ad7201e8055.jpg

Copper head gasket? Annealing should work fine. For other gaskets I'd suggest using Cometic (Spelling?). No idea if they make them for Triumphs. I will use nothing else on Harleys I work on. Fit and function are perfect.

Covseal (same thing, I believe - metal cored) is what I ordered for the rocker box-to-head seal. Hopefully all will be in this week, but right now getting the rear tire replaced on the Spyder RTL is the primary task. That and an issue at church.

Spray on copper coat works very well on head gaskets

Back