New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

Well you lucked out there, twice. Once in that a PO must have started on a project to replace the gear and never got a round tuit. and second that you were able to find it afterwards..

Now my assembling problem. I'm going to have to remove my Crafty 6" lathe and assemble everything in place on the table. This sucker is going to get real heavy real fast and would not be able to move it into my shop assembled due to it's weight. As a "guess" I'd say just the bed and two massive feet will weight about 100 pounds or more. Fortunately my table in on wheels and I could maneuver it around for assembly. With the 50 pound antique motor it's about 350-400 lbs.

Last edited:
Now my assembling problem. I'm going to have to remove my Crafty 6" lathe and assemble everything in place on the table. This sucker is going to get real heavy real fast and would not be able to move it into my shop assembled due to it's weight. As a "guess" I'd say just the bed and two massive feet will weight about 130 pounds or more. Fortunately my table in on wheels and I could maneuver it around for assembly. With the 50 pound antique motor it's about 400 lbs.

My memory is a little sketchy about what actually happened with the spare parts from two years ago. I guess obviously the broken toothed back gear is the original I removed and I bought a new back gear assembly and bull gear. "Soooo" there never was a spare to begin with. Loosing so many brain cells cause all I had to do was order the small tooth gear. Wasted money on that!

Last edited:
Well I guess all's well that ends well. I am going to bed!!!

I cleaned and painted the bed feet this morning. I think my "get up and got up and went!" Only 3 hours sleep last night. Now my next move has to be to remove the Crafty 6" lathe and find somewhere to put it out of the weather on my patio. The bed and feet are done so I need to move the 42" bed in the shop for assembly as each assembly piece is cleaned and painted. Thinking I might keep the 5" 3-jaw, from my 6" lathe, and buy another 1.5x8 tpi backing plate. I'll put original 4-jaw back on the 6" lathe.

OK. I guess that the "standard" 3-jaw for the 10" and 12" is probably a 6" so a 5" should be close enough. About 10"is the largest 4jaw that you should use on a 12" lathe. If you run the jaws out far enough to strike the ways, you have them out too far to safely run anyway.

OK. I guess that the "standard" 3-jaw for the 10" and 12" is probably a 6" so a 5" should be close enough. About 10"is the largest 4jaw that you should use on a 12" lathe. If you run the jaws out far enough to strike the ways, you have them out too far to safely run anyway.
I'll go and measure all three chucks cause as you know the brain cells start dying after 75. LoL The 4-jaw I was talking about came on the 6" and is about 4" in diameter.

And I did and it is now 02:30 Tuesday. Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the "new" back gear assembly include the gear to replace the one with the two broken teeth?

And I did and it is now 02:30 Tuesday. Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the "new" back gear assembly include the gear to replace the one with the two broken teeth?
No new/used same same to me! Ha. I have not replaced the small gear but saw one on eBad for $29. Maybe I should buy that to make it a good spare back gear or sell it.

Last edited:
Back