New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

Hmm, what I saw was that solar activity causes the earth's atmosphere to expand, not directly solar wind. These were ones destine for a lower orbit than some of the others. I wonder if they'll go back to the drawing board on those orbits.
yes you are right. I remembered it wrong. read about it yesterday and already the details are gone (poof).

Hope the existing constellation is able to keep up with the bandwidth demand. Losing 82% of the fleet is pretty substantial. Might be a little while before they put up some more satellites. Do you know how many satellites are supposed to be in view at a time?

Astronomers are probably rejoicing at this turn of events. The Starlink satellites have been streaking though many observations.

Your shop is looking great!
It was 40 of 49 from one launch earlier in February. There are 1504 active starlink satellites in orbit at this time, so it's not 82% of the total fleet.

It was 40 of 49 from one launch earlier in February. I believe there are something like 1600 actual starlink satellites in orbit at this time, so it's not 82% of the total fleet.
Well, then not a calamity for you, and only a blip for Mr. Musk. Hope you get your Starlink set up soon. Know you have been starved for bandwidth in your location. Looking forward to you posting videos!

Ground needs to dry out a bit inside, which is why the wainscot lower siding is missing. Tentatively pouring next Wednesday.
Are you placing a vapor barrier between the soil and the concrete?
See some very good info by the guru of building science here:
https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-003-concrete-floor-problems

The traditional (old) way of pouring concrete on sand is all wrong and flowed. I used 15 mil sheet under several concrete slabs that I did in the last few years and the difference is day and night on how well the concrete cures, lack of cracks and absolutely no moisture penetration.

Here is another good info on the topic:
https://www.probuilder.com/quality-matters-under-slab-vapor-barriers-done-right

I used something like this (yellow...)
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Plastic-Supply-Polyolefin-Sheeting/dp/B09GL8PDTS

Good luck!
Ariel

Kind of a fun side-note. They had a couple of 16" round "Graber Post Buildings" signs sitting out that they were going to attach to the building. I went to the lead builder (Amish) onsite and said "Graber is getting mighty proud of their buildings to put signs on them.". He immediately got a very serious look, "oh, I tried to tell them not to do that. We won't put it up if you don't want it". I said "Thank you". The signs disappeared shortly thereafter.

Later over lunch the crew was joking that I could charge them an advertising "lease" fee for the signs.

yes you are right. I remembered it wrong. read about it yesterday and already the details are gone (poof).
I only remembered because I was quite curious about the electromagnetic interaction and being associated with the northern lights and direct electromagnetic damage to some equipment, including an incident in the late 1960's where it knocked out several of the cold war's radar sites, apparently causing the U.S. to order the launch of additional nuclear strike bombers before it was understood to not be a preamble to a Soviet strike.

Last edited:
The crew is suppose to pour concrete this week, probably Wednesday. I needed to get several things ready. Three in-slab outlet boxes, conduit for the main power, and for the fiber optic feed and the air line between the shops.

IMG_4421.JPGIMG_4423.JPGIMG_4425.JPG

The in floor boxes are set using schedule 40 water pipe instead of electrical conduit. After 2 months of checking supply at Menards, Lowe's, and Home Depot, I was unable to come up with enough electrical grade conduit. I will replace the above slab stubs with electrical conduit to get the light-resistant characteristics, so those stubs are just to keep concrete out of the lower section as they pour. The joint is slightly above the slab top but concrete work can be sloppy.

Boy this space looks big. I'm sure when I put in the 'office', and divider wall to separate the grinding and welding from the machining, then move all the tools in, it'll get a lot smaller.

IMG_4414.JPG

Because of trees and other obstructions, this building is going to be my connection hub to the new Starlink service that will (hopefully) replace the abysmal HughesNet satellite service. The Starlink dish shipped last week, and showed up today. The Starlink dish rotates to track satellites, so it needs a good field of view. Being fond of trees and privacy, the only viable approach is to either mount it on the shop roof, or on a pole. I opted to make a pole with a pivot so that I could avoid the ladder, scrambling around on the roof. Set the base post 4' down this morning in 240 lbs of concrete.
IMG_4417.JPGIMG_4416.JPG
IMG_4418.JPGIMG_4419.JPGIMG_4427.JPG

That's about a 20' tall pole made of 2x2x.125 square tube, with some smaller square tube tacked on for the lower 10'. I'll add eyelets at about 15' up for guy wires. The base is made so that a pivot pin allows the mast to fold, with 4 holes for 5/8" bolts to hold it in position when up.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.JPG
    IMG_4408.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4415.JPG
    IMG_4415.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4424.JPG
    IMG_4424.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 12
The crew is suppose to pour concrete this week, probably Wednesday. I needed to get several things ready. Three in-slab outlet boxes, conduit for the main power, and for the fiber optic feed and the air line between the shops.

View attachment 396395View attachment 396398View attachment 396402

The in floor boxes are set using schedule 40 water pipe instead of electrical conduit. After 2 months of checking supply at Menards, Lowe's, and Home Depot, I was unable to come up with enough electrical grade conduit. I will replace the above slab stubs with electrical conduit to get the light-resistant characteristics, so those stubs are just to keep concrete out of the lower section as they pour. The joint is slightly above the slab top but concrete work can be sloppy.

Boy this space looks big. I'm sure when I put in the 'office', and divider wall to separate the grinding and welding from the machining, then move all the tools in, it'll get a lot smaller.

View attachment 396388

Because of trees and other obstructions, this building is going to be my connection hub to the new Starlink service that will (hopefully) replace the abysmal HughesNet satellite service. The Starlink dish shipped last week, and showed up today. The Starlink dish rotates to track satellites, so it needs a good field of view. Being fond of trees and privacy, the only viable approach is to either mount it on the shop roof, or on a pole. I opted to make a pole with a pivot so that I could avoid the ladder, scrambling around on the roof. Set the base post 4' down this morning in 240 lbs of concrete.
View attachment 396392View attachment 396390
View attachment 396393View attachment 396394View attachment 396404

That's about a 20' tall pole made of 2x2x.125 square tube, with some smaller square tube tacked on for the lower 10'. I'll add eyelets at about 15' up for guy wires. The base is made so that a pivot pin allows the mast to fold, with 4 holes for 5/8" bolts to hold it in position when up.
Looking good, that's quite a bit of work accomplished.

Concrete will get done this week. Debating whether I need to buy/make a 10ga "extension cord" to power things (lights, router/switch) until the power co gets the new service active.

Back