New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

Permit? what's a permit? ;)

Here in Los Angeles nothing moves without full constructions permits upfront and city inspections at each stage of the construction. No concrete pouring before approved vapor barrier material and rebars are in place. No concrete pouring for structural concrete (4,000 PSI) without deputy inspector on site during the pour. Not even sure that pole barn style buildings are allowed at this earthquake prone region.

Permit? what's a permit? ;)
Most of the county is farmers. Farmers are an independent group, and generally not enthusiastic on more government oversite.

There is a 2 mile radius beyond the city limits, if you're in the city limits or in that 2 mile radius, then you pay $50 for a permit, and provide a diagram to show you meet the road and property line setbacks or request an exemption. Technically our house is considered within the 2 mile radius, but the new shop is not. I did get a permit for another building (horse barns and facility) and I asked about inspections. What's that? You've paid your money, go build.

Outside of that city setback enforcement area, the only permit is a state mandated inspection process for septic tanks. You pay an independent soil engineer to do a test on soil porosity, and then the county public health department issues a permit based on soil porosity, requiring so many feet of septic field. We put in an additional septic tank over by the barns as we put in a small bathroom over there.

Everything else is handled by the county tax assessor. She happens to have horses too. Last time she came around I pointed out that her truck ought to have some sort of county marking less someone shoot at her. She did say that has happened a few years back ... Her personal vehicle but the county may provide some sort of mileage reimbursement. I tried to help point out what we'd done and she seemed appreciative of a helpful property owner. Don't think it made any difference on our assessment, but in a small town it's just easier to stay on good terms with all the county workers.

So is the order of operations here, standard practice? It's been quite a few years since I did any construction, but we never stood up a building and then poured concrete inside of it. Is this a pole building thing?
Edit: It was for the military in combat zones. I'm always curious about how it's done here.

Yes, a pole barn thing. Set the poles before pouring concrete. How much else gets done before concrete is up for grabs, although a roof overhead reduces rain issues for pouring. They will close in the rest of the building immediately after pouring to manage freezing issues.

Yes, a pole barn thing. Set the poles before pouring concrete. How much else gets done before concrete is up for grabs, although a roof overhead reduces rain issues for pouring. They will close in the rest of the building immediately after pouring to manage freezing issues.
The 6" x 6" laminated posts that form the perimeter frame of the building are spaced on a 8' interval, and buried 4' deep. The bottom of the hole has a precast concrete "cookie" disk about 16" in diameter and 3" thick. I think the origin of this style building comes from farmers, accustom to setting fence posts, and often using recycled telephone poles. Very common for things such as hay storage. Many such farm buildings did not use a concrete floor. We have another pole building over by the horse barns, 32' x 64', of which 32' x 40' is gravel floor and open sided. We store the large (32" x 32" x 96") square hay bales, the bigger pickup, the excavator, motorcycle, diesel fuel tank and tractor implements under there.

Last edited:
So is the order of operations here, standard practice? It's been quite a few years since I did any construction, but we never stood up a building and then poured concrete inside of it. Is this a pole building thing?
That is the way they did my red iron building. If they poured the pad first, they would have had to wait 30 days before they could have driven the telehandler on it. So, pouring the pad last means no down time providing mother nature cooperates.

That is the way they did my red iron building. If they poured the pad first, they would have had to wait 30 days before they could have driven the telehandler on it. So, pouring the pad last means no down time providing mother nature cooperates.
How thick of a pad did you go with, Tom? Did they pour some sort of footings for the red iron structure before putting up the building?

I'll be waiting 30 days after pour to move anything into the shop. 4-5 ton machinery means renting a forklift that weighs around 8 tons, or a telehandler that weighs 15 tons, thats a lot of weight to put on the concrete. That will probably be closer to 60 days before I want to risk that, especially as concrete sets up slower in cold weather.

But it will probably take me at least that long to finish out the wiring, put up interior walls, finish out the ceiling, build out the office, and blow insulation into everything. At around three weeks I figure I can use rent a scissors lift to work on the ceiling. I have a week of being out of town for medical follow-ups so that will help the time pass. Mentally things are getting moved in already ;)

How thick of a pad did you go with, Tom? Did they pour some sort of footings for the red iron structure before putting up the building?
I went with 6" thick. I knew I would have heavy machines in there. Plus my forklift weighs 10500 pounds. I also went deeper where I want the boring mill to sit. We poured 10" there. They did pour some large footings prior. Our frost line is 18".

Contractors are done.​

I was planning on putting up the white metal ceiling myself but they offered to put it up for a reasonable 'cash' price. Ceiling hole left open for wiring and insulation access.

IMG_4451.JPGIMG_4452.JPG

Back