New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

Looking great Randal.

The two tone exterior looks good.

Wondering. Is there a technical reason (multiple?) that the skirt is separate from the siding? Leaving it open must facilitate the slab work but are there other advantages?

PS: Please use an extension ladder to access the attic. Seeing that step ladder there gives me the hee-bee-jee-bees.

reasonable price and less than a days work. Can't beat that. Ceiling work is a pain. more so if you don't have a panel lift. My head hurts after doing a bunch of sheet rock, Especially when the T bar moves the wrong way... :rolleyes:

You going to keep wetting the concrete for a stronger floor? Or put plastic over it?

Leaving it open must facilitate the slab work but are there other advantages?
Also keeps the splattering concrete from hitting the walls if they are not there.

Looking great Randal.

The two tone exterior looks good.

Wondering. Is there a technical reason (multiple?) that the skirt is separate from the siding? Leaving it open must facilitate the slab work but are there other advantages?

PS: Please use an extension ladder to access the attic. Seeing that step ladder there gives me the hee-bee-jee-bees.
Thanks!

Lower siding (wainscot) left off to make it easier to finish the edge of the slab, no other reason. The step ladder is mine, but was being used by the construction crew, not me. I prefer something that extends at least 3 ft above the level I have to step off if I'm doing roof/attic work. That step ladder, while heavy to move around, will be handy for installing the lights.

Last edited:
reasonable price and less than a days work. Can't beat that. Ceiling work is a pain. more so if you don't have a panel lift. My head hurts after doing a bunch of sheet rock, Especially when the T bar moves the wrong way... :rolleyes:

You going to keep wetting the concrete for a stronger floor? Or put plastic ove
Ceiling work @ 8ft is bad enough. They had three guys up on a wheeled scaffold, and two guys handing up 20' panels, moved fast. Ceiling up, concrete slab cut, and garage door hung before lunch.

I'll have to do a bit of scrambling around the attic to finish wiring all the light fixtures, if I realized it was going to work out this way I would have made more of an effort to get the other ceiling boxes installed. I have four more to put in.

I'm keeping the concrete wet. I covered the exterior lip of the concrete beyond the garage door after soaking it today, the rest will get wet down morning and evening. In summer I'd keep it saturated for about 72 hours, I'll probably go a full week given the slower cure in lower temps.

Last edited:
Looks really nice. So many shops leave the rafters exposed, mostly do to cost but I really like the enclosed ceiling. Looks so much better.

Will enjoy watching the progress.

Looks really nice. So many shops leave the rafters exposed, mostly do to cost but I really like the enclosed ceiling. Looks so much better.

Will enjoy watching the progress.
Lots of various considerations for the ceiling, the bright white metal makes the space feel better lit. A ceiling provides an additional insulation layer, I plan on blowing insulation above the metal. The attic if open is a lot of air space to heat/cool too. Drywall ceiling provides better noise damping acoustics but the labor is prohibitive, whether hired or DIY.

Looking great. Getting the slab in is always a big step. Mike

Lots of various considerations for the ceiling, the bright white metal makes the space feel better lit. A ceiling provides an additional insulation layer, I plan on blowing insulation above the metal. The attic if open is a lot of air space to heat/cool too. Drywall ceiling provides better noise damping acoustics but the labor is prohibitive, whether hired or DIY.
I agree with you on your logic.
I have a problem with too much heat, just takes it out of me. If it were me, I would install some attic fans to move that heat out between the ceiling and roof. I have a couple of friends that have installed those Big Ass Fans in their shop. Expensive but they move some air and are reversible for summer or winter. One has his in his hanger in Idaho and swears that the small heater with the fan keeps the temps very comfortable and during the heat of the summer very cool on its' own.
Another advantage to wall (attic) fans is if you do a lot of burning or welding, helps to move that smoke out. I have two stints in my heart so wife has flat out told me that I will mover that smoke out of the shop when we get ours or no burning or welding. Nice to have someone take care of you.
But I bet that ceiling will be a huge benefit in lighting.

Another advantage to wall (attic) fans is if you do a lot of burning or welding, helps to move that smoke out.
I’m keeping my eye out for a used furnace blower that I can convert to a welding exhaust hood to try to get fumes out without venting the whole shop, although adding that option makes sense.

Back