Newbie Here

wait, are you saying i could have cut that plate out on the mill?
hmm.. never thought about that.
how would i go about putting the piece on the mill and cleaning up the rough edges?
didnt even cross my mind..

does anyone have experience with anodizing aluminum?
I'm reading up on the 720 rule and wasnt sure about the surface area.
since my pieces are open rectangles do i count the outside and inside as surface area? ie, double the surface area since both sides will need to be anodized.

also what thickness should i be looking for? ideally i'd like to go for a mil-spec hard anodize.. type III but i can start off with type II to learn on.

current density... i have no idea...

thanks guys!

now the hard part... waiting for everything to show up!

How's that wait going? I see you posted "I purchased an LMS 3990" on Friday (in another thread), and being in CA, it should be a fairly short truck journey for you. I just ordered the same on Tuesday, but being in Iowa, it'll take mine a day or two more to arrive.

She's here!

593239ac08a7eb931329b7e0c2967651.jpg

Started playing with it.

I put oil on it however the y axis still seems a bit rough. Any suggestions?

She's here!

Started playing with it.

I put oil on it however the y axis still seems a bit rough. Any suggestions?

My goodness, just a few hours old and already you've made a mess :p Do share what goodies you got with it.

Anyway, I've heard that ensuring your gibs are tightened appropriately is good. It's possible there's paint overspray, or something else causing roughness. Somewhere I saw posted how a guy made some replacement gibs for his minimill from brass, which helped out greatly. The tricky bit was cutting the edges of the brass strip at the correct angle.

Mine just got picked up at LMS today, and won't be arriving until Tuesday'ish. The wait, it kills me!

Looks a lot nicer than the HF mill I have. I would check the ways and lead screw for burrs and grit. Try adjusting the gibs and see if that helps.

;-(
if only i knew what the gibs were....

i purchased the tooling kit http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4491&category=

however i'll be honest, the 10 piece end mill kit is a rip off.... only the smaller sizes fit in the chuck, so why the hell did they sell me the larger sizes for if they wont fit with the provided chuck..
i'm sure at some point i'll upgrade but they made it seem as if this tooling package is mated with this machine...

anyhow, rant over...

i also purchased the http://www.ebay.com/itm/Igaging-3-P...862796?hash=item1e7f5da68c:g:UPIAAOxyUSFSK8nN
and in my haste i tried to use a self tapping screw into the cast iron and of course it snapped off... rookie mistake.
i'll take my impatient butt over to the bolt store to buy a proper drill bit, a proper tap and proper bolts... lol...

Back