Newbie Here

another issue i'm having, when clamping my piece into the vice, one end rises up.

how do i keep the piece flat??

Get a dead blow hammer similar to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-41798.html

Mount the part on parallels. As you tighten the vise and it starts to rise up, smack it down. Push or pull slightly on the parallels to ensure the part is sitting on them. Finish tightening the vise slowly and smack down as necessary.

Get a dead blow hammer similar to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-41798.html

Mount the part on parallels. As you tighten the vise and it starts to rise up, smack it down. Push or pull slightly on the parallels to ensure the part is sitting on them. Finish tightening the vise slowly and smack down as necessary.

Is a deadblow hammer helpful for that? Or just a non-marring hammer? In my inexperience, I think this soft-head hammer would be ideal: http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-11-oz-Double-Faced-Soft-Mallet-30812/205559083 It would let you get a few quick smacks in, without having an awkward rhythm.

Or if going with deadblow, just the 1lb version? http://www.harborfreight.com/1-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-41796.html

thanks, this morning before i came to work i ran out and pulled the drill chuck off and used the collet with the appropriate sized end mill.
world of difference.
also just used my little hammer i had to tap down the piece, the problem is that its an open rectangle so when i tighten it, it bows... dont tighten it enough and it moves, too much and it shifts, but as long as i tap it it lays flat.

i bought a drill bit, tap and appropriately sized bolts so i can install the digital read outs.. i'll probably do that today after work.

also just used my little hammer i had to tap down the piece, the problem is that its an open rectangle so when i tighten it, it bows... dont tighten it enough and it moves, too much and it shifts, but as long as i tap it it lays flat.

I saw in your initial picture, that you've got the part bottomed out in your vice. Throw some parallels under it, so instead of clamping most of the outer faces, you're only squeezing on the bottom 1/8-1/4". That will help prevent the sides from bowing in, and focus the tension on the bottom flat plane only.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 11.21.36 AM.png

thanks, this morning before i came to work i ran out and pulled the drill chuck off and used the collet with the appropriate sized end mill.
world of difference.

i bought a drill bit, tap and appropriately sized bolts so i can install the digital read outs.. i'll probably do that today after work.
You could also use a piece of scrap to support the inside of the part.

so i tried my best to square the vice but it was off and my cuts were crooked.

i pulled the base off the vice and attached it directly to the table.

i got a piece of 4" wide aluminum got a square and etched 3 lines in it.

put it on the vice and used one of the smallest bits to mill a tiny line across, first line was off a few hairs, tapped it to the left, second line was almost perfect, another tap, third line was 98% perfect, for the 2" cuts i'm making it's going to work.

so i tried my best to square the vice but it was off and my cuts were crooked.

i pulled the base off the vice and attached it directly to the table.

i got a piece of 4" wide aluminum got a square and etched 3 lines in it.

put it on the vice and used one of the smallest bits to mill a tiny line across, first line was off a few hairs, tapped it to the left, second line was almost perfect, another tap, third line was 98% perfect, for the 2" cuts i'm making it's going to work.

That may be good enough for now, but eventually you may want to do something like this to square up (tram) your vice

Hey dragos28, I need to know what size sockets, wrenches, Allen keys, etc are needed for two places....the bolts that were holding it to the pallet, and the bolts/screws holding the column to the base. Would you mind getting those for me?

I had my mill shipped to work, and will need to take it off the pallet to get it in my car, and probably take the column off too. Not having to take my whole toolbox to the office would be appreciated. So I hope you see this tonight. ;)

You should consider getting a set of collets to fit the spindle. End mills in a drill chuck aren't recommended. they can pull out. Collets also have less runout and will give you more room from the spindle to the table.. Nice looking mill, best of luck with it.

Kevin J.

Back