Newbie needs help with Logan 200 spindle runout

Did you scrape off the paint like we talked about? Did you grease the bearings? They look cleaned with no grease in photo's. I use Mobil #28 or 32 grease when I pack bearings. The major issue you have is the NO undercut in the chuck right? t looks as if there is a burr or crud inside the spindle when it runs so good and all of a sudden it jumps a couple of tenths. Use some scotch brite in hole. Rotate spindle BY HAND and NOT UNDER POWER. I have heard horror stories about get fingers ripped off running under power.

Ok no I haven't scraped the paint yet. That is this weekend's project. I got the indicator a day earlier than I thought and rushed out to check it. Yeah I wondered about cleaning up the spindle with a scotch brite. I figure it being dirty was causing the needle to jump. However at this point I am a lot happier knowing there isn't anything "wrong" with the spindle and look forward to getting it prepped for making chips (just in someone else's garage :)

Looks pretty good. I suggest you choke up on the indicator arm; having it extended like that can cause error just on the method alone. Fold the arm up tight and you'll see less bouncing of the needle and have better accuracy. Try to do all these checks with the lathe warmed up - run it for 20 minutes at medium speed and then take your readings. I also suggest you check at two or three parts of the spindle taper to be sure your readings are consistent. If they are, then you can be fairly confident that what you see is what you have.

Once you know what the spindle run out is, compare it to the spindle register that locates your chucks. If that reads the same then you have what you have. As for whether or not 0.0005" is acceptable, it probably is for an older lathe like this. Many newer lathes (and some old ones, too) have run out in the 0.0000" - 0.0002" range.

Awesome... many thanks for pointing that out. I also wondered about my measuring technique. All of this gear is new to me and just learning how to use it. I suspect after the spindle is cleaned, I strip the paint on the headstock where it mounts, and I re-measure it will be closer to the 0.0002 that you mention.

Small update: got the spindle out, paint removed and did a little inspection. While the spindle is out I'm gonna throw on a serpentine belt. Anyone who has done this can you tell me the length? The only info I could find was a Dayco 5080400 Serpentine Belt that is 40.63".

Small update: got the spindle out, paint removed and did a little inspection. While the spindle is out I'm gonna throw on a serpentine belt. Anyone who has done this can you tell me the length? The only info I could find was a Dayco 5080400 Serpentine Belt that is 40.63".

Sort of hard to do at this point, but a seamstress tape wrapped around the pulleys does a good job of measuring the needed belt length, just subtract enough for tensioning or block the motor side pulley where you want it under tension and then use the tape. Even a piece of string and a tape measure will work.

I cannot tell you the exact length, but I have a Micro-V AT 25-080400 serpentine belt from NAPA on my Logan 200, running with the ribs against the pulleys. It works very well.

Ok I can't win for losing here. Since there was no other usable chuck included with this lathe, I bought one off eBay. An old Buck chuck "Made for Logan" with high confidence it would be a good fit. Turns out with this chuck I am still not able to screw the chuck all the way to the shoulder. It will thread just fine on my South Bend. So, I measured the spindle register diameter and it looks like it something like 1.52", not 1.50 as advertised? Is my spindle special, or ... ? Can someone else who has a 10" Logan measure their spindle register? My goal is to turn a temporary spacer to bore the original backplate, but now I am back to the starting line. See video for details. Thank you all for sticking with me.

Is my spindle special, or ... ? Can someone else who has a 10" Logan measure their spindle register?
SuperTroye, Been following this post, and probably should have spoken up sooner. I have a 12" logan, so wasn't sure If they were all the same, but your last post tells me they are. 4 years ago when I got my first lathe (had never even seen one up close before), the logan 2557, it came with a 6" 3 jaw chuck. Was recuperating from hip surgery, so spent a lot of time reading everything I could find about my lathe. I happened to read an add on a used tool site selling chuck adapter plates. It said that there 2 1/4 " X 8 threaded plates would fit all lathes with 2 1/4" threaded spindles EXCEPT LOGANS, and for Logans the adapter would simply have to be screwed on backwards (with a spacer to seat against the spindle register face and adapter plate), and a few thousandths taken off the ID of the plate register. As soon as I could get around again, I went out and checked, and sure enough my chuck was hitting the horizontal part of the register rather than sliding on to it, just like yours. When taking chuck and adapter plate apart to turn the register I saw that the plate was stamped Southbend which explained why it didn't screw on all the way. I didn't respond sooner because figured it was only on the larger spindles, but apparently they did this on all there lathes. Don't be afraid to do this !! This is the very first thing I ever did on any machine tool in my life, and it came out perfect, thanks of coarse, to the great guys on this forum who talked me through every step. JUST REMEMBER, make sure that both ends of the spacer you make are true to each other, as you can't trust the threads to hold the plate true. If there is anything I forgot please ask, and sorry I waited so long to respond. Happy Machining, JR49

Interesting. My spindle register measures 1.4974". The counterbored area on my Buck/Logan chuck is 1.519".

Maybe you got unlucky enough to get a spindle and chuck that were on opposite ends of the tolerances; or possibly out of spec?

Interesting. My spindle register measures 1.4974". The counterbored area on my Buck/Logan chuck is 1.519".

Maybe you got unlucky enough to get a spindle and chuck that were on opposite ends of the tolerances; or possibly out of spec?

My guess is the only the spindle is out of spec... it chuck fits just fine on my SB.

Back