Next project: Craftsman 101.07301 6" lathe

can't say about your motor/countershaft pulley, but the countershaft/spindle pulleys are definitely 3/8". I hated the link belt on mine, slipped constantly, so I made a poly V spindle sheave instead.

then motor/countershaft belt would work better if you turned it around - the dangly bits are supposed to ride down in the V, not outside

can't say about your motor/countershaft pulley, but the countershaft/spindle pulleys are definitely 3/8". I hated the link belt on mine, slipped constantly, so I made a poly V spindle sheave instead.

then motor/countershaft belt would work better if you turned it around - the dangly bits are supposed to ride down in the V, not outside
I thought so after viewing my pics about being directional. I put my original pulley back on the motor,which is wider, and belt doesn't slide off now but the belt rides high on the countershaft pulley.

Measurement of the sheave top to top. Tomorrow I'll go to the auto parts store and find out what size of belt fits the pulleys. I'm thinking the 3/8" belt will fit the motor to countershaft and bet it will not fit the countershaft sheave.

Attachments

• 20211104_194609.jpg
    20211104_194609.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
I thought so after viewing my pics about being directional. I put my original pulley back on the motor,which is wider, and belt doesn't slide off now but the belt rides high on the countershaft pulley.
I reread your reply and instead of having it turned around I had it inside out!" I turned the belt inside out and made the T-connectors flowing with a clockwise direction. "IT WORKS MUCH MORE GOODER" now! My first dealings with these kind of belts and I thank you for your help. Thanks again

No problem at all, glad you got it sorted! To be honest the main thing I've found link belts to be good for is working out what size of proper v belt to get. I found that link belts slip way more than a solid v belt

LX Kid,

The original pulleys for all of the 6" Atlas-built lathes except for the Mk2 are made to fit 3/8" belts having part numbers beginning with "3L". They obviously won't fit a 1/2" belt which you said yours is. I can't say for certain that there is no belt made whose nominal width is between 3/8" and 1/2" as I am not familiar with metric sizing. But in the FHP line of belts, there is nothing made between 3/8" and 1/2" nominal width. But the first thing wrong with the belt that you are trying to use is that it is the wrong size and shape for the pulleys.

And to answer your other question, the originator of the link belt (whose links don't look like what you bought) clearly says that running their belts in reverse is not recommended.

I am prevented by site policy from making any further comments on your belts other than to say that the links don't appear to me to have been made to fit a V-Section pulley of any width. The links all look square (or rectangular).

LX Kid,

And to answer your other question, the originator of the link belt (whose links don't look like what you bought) clearly says that running their belts in reverse is not recommended.

The links don't appear to me to have been made to fit a V-Section pulley of any width. The links all look square (or rectangular).
I had the belt turned inside out! The V was suttle looking and I turned the belt V correctly and made the T-connectors flowing with a clockwise direction. It does have a "V" but I didn't catch it at first and it seems to now fit the pulleys fine and runs well. Thanks

Side note: Still waiting for the 3/8" belt which is "supposed" to arrive tomorrow. put a "Power/Kill" switch on the front right. Yes it is a light switch and just working with what I have.

Attachments

• 20211105_203823.jpg
    20211105_203823.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Anyone made a larger cross slide dial that can be read without using a magnifying glass? The little dinky dial is irritating!

Learned a neat trick from Quinn on YouBoob about tool / chuck setup. My lathe center is "dead nuts" 3" on both the chuck and tailstock. It makes the cutter tool height and 90 degree to chuck very easy. So a 2x3 block works out very well for me. My new 3/8" belt should arrive today. I've been running my 1/2" belt, as well as leaving engaged overnight, and seems the belt stretches. I had set it for 1/2" deflection and now it increased in deflection to mabey 3/4" or more. Anyone else have similar experience?

Attachments

• 20211106_103415_resized.jpg
    20211106_103415_resized.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211106_103444_resized.jpg
    20211106_103444_resized.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 6
In a perfect world you want your motor attached to the counter shaft assembly so that you can set the first belt tension and leave it. The whole motor and counter shaft assembly swings to loosen up for belt changes.
You could also arrange things so both belts loosen for belt changes. It will take some fiddling to get it right!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back