Next project: Craftsman 101.07301 6" lathe

Well, from what I can see in the two photos, there are only two things keeping you from selling it as it was originally sold (sans motor). One is that it doesn't have the 2-step motor pulley and 2-step countershaft pulley. And two, the back gear lever belongs on the other end of the shaft. Where it is now, I think that if you try to mount the gear guard. it won't close fully.
Well, from what I can see in the two photos, there are only two things keeping you from selling it as it was originally sold (sans motor). One is that it doesn't have the 2-step motor pulley and 2-step countershaft pulley. And two, the back gear lever belongs on the other end of the shaft. Where it is now, I think that if you try to mount the gear guard. it won't close fully.

Yes your correct on both counts. The back gear is installed and both the belt cover and gear cover does open and close properly. I wanted it on the left side because I'm going to mount the motor on the right side of the counterbalance and have moved the pulley to the right side. Trying to keep the lathes footprint smaller. The pulleys can be bought by it's new owner it they so desire.

20200323_120830.jpg

Attachments

• 20200323_114552.jpg
    20200323_114552.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 12
OK. My Father would probably have liked the back gear lever on the left. He was left-handed, AFAIK the only one in five generations of my family to be so.

I was able to find a treadmill power supply and used a 5K pot and it works quite well. I don't have any problems with either power supply as they both work good. I haven't put either one to use on my lathe and just have been tinkering around with both. Should have finished this project about a week ago but have been dragging my feet for whatever reason. Been getting hotter here in Florida and just don't feel motivated.

20200404_193537.jpg

ooh nice, that's an MC60 (or thereabouts).

You'll need to use the countershaft, that motor will run your lathe way too fast direct drive.

As for the too much power comments. Maybe, but I've had a 1hp tm motor and then a 1.5 (or 2)hp tm motor on my 618 for the last 5 years or so and haven't broken anything yet. And I've done alot of work with it, including turning a 2 1/2" diameter stainless mortar for a mortar and pestle.

Yes I think your correct.

Well, hopefully you will always be either smart enough or lucky enough to never have a crash. But if you ever do, an oversized motor will do much more damage than the recommended 1/4 to 1/3 HP.

On an unrelated subject, I have been working on an illustrated parts list for the 101.07301. For a long time, I held off doing it in hopes of one finally surfacing. It has a long way to go but is almost to the point where I think that it would be more help than hindrance. I'll post a note when I've released a beta version.

It is a mystery to me why Sears never got Atlas to do one. On the other machines, the earliest 10" and 618 ones date from 1945/6. The first 12" one dates from about 1950 or so. And production of of the 07301 continued until sometime in 1957.

On a somewhat related subject, what keeps the part of the spindle ball thrust bearing that is supposed to be stationary from rotating? And does the 6" spindle have a peg or post in it to make the rotary part of the bearing rotate as the 9", 10" and 12" babbit bearing ones do?

On a somewhat related subject, what keeps the part of the spindle ball thrust bearing that is supposed to be stationary from rotating? And does the 6" spindle have a peg or post in it to make the rotary part of the bearing rotate as the 9", 10" and 12" babbit bearing ones do?
I guess that's another good reason to have a counter-shaft assembly to let the belt slip in case of a chuck crash. Good question about the spindle bearing and maybe someone reading this post has an answer.

they have a 1/4" V belt and tiny pulleys. If a crash happened with a higher HP motor then the belt would slip. And that's if the lathe was actually capable of taking a cut that would use all that power. Really, people get their knickers in all kinds of twists about motor size on small lathes.

I never ran my 7301 in anger but from what I can remember there was nothing specific that keyed the thrust ball bearing to the spindle.

Unfortunately, whomever scanned that parts manual did it in color originally. And it pixelates pretty badly beyond a zoom of about 2.5:1. The moral of the story is never ever scan a black & white original to color.

Back