Next project: Craftsman 101.07301 6" lathe

I was curious about the feet when I mounted the lathe to the table. Don't think I'll take it apart though now that everything is working fine. I ordered a couple of arbors to mount drill chucks and a new 4" 3-jaw chuck, 1"x8 tpi, with mounting place. Also a QCTP set, OAX 250 was ordered.

I discovered my old chuck jaws are out of spec so when I get my QCTP I'll do a grind job on the jaws. While cleaning up my shop I discovered that I have a 4-jaw chuck for a South Bend 9" lathe. Guess I'll hang onto it in case I want to do another South Bend. I've done two of those plus this 6" Craftsman.

Last edited:
Strange that everyone was saying my tailstock was a MT-2. I measured the tailstock ram opening and it's .461" at the shoulder so it should be a MT-1. A MT-2 is .700" at the shoulder and the tail won't even enter into the ram. I also noticed that the chuck was running backwards. So I said "uh-oh" and rewired the motor for CCW direction but it will only run CW. As luck would have it something wrong with motor and won't run CCW. So I had to turn motor and layshaft around so the pulleys are on the left side. Works fine now. Hope my QCTP arrives soon so I can give it a try.

Attachments

• 20211028_082122.jpg
    20211028_082122.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Strange that everyone was saying my tailstock was a MT-2. I measured the tailstock ram opening and it's .461" so it should be a MT-1. A MT-2 is .700" and won't even enter into the ram. I also noticed that the chuck was running backwards. So I said "uh-oh" and rewired the motor for CCW direction but it will only run CW. As luck would have it something wrong with motor and won't run CCW. So I had to turn motor and layshaft around so the pulleys are on the left side. Works fine now. Hope my QCTP arrives soon so I can give it a try.

The 10" has MT3 in the spindle and MT2 in the tail stock, the 6" lathes are MT2 in the spindle and MT1 in the tail stock.

I find that when people don't catch which lathe it is, many assume it is one of the larger lathes. Unlike many mini-lathes the 6" Atlas lathes really don't look as small as they are without something to give some context.

Received my QCTP last night and I'm sure it will work a lot better than the broken Lantern post I have. Of course I had to make a mounting plate. The plates threaded hole has to be drilled off center or the QCTP will not turn for adjustment. The QCTP was more than I wanted to spend as the last one I had ordered, about 6 or 7 years ago was half the price from The Little Machine Shop. (It is what it is!) Speaking of money, I'm already deep into this lathe! I bought it for $150 and it had "soooooo" many problems that I had to throw money at. I'm kinda embarrassed to say I'm about $1500 into it, That's one of the reasons I didn't want to spend more money on the lay shaft/motor mound assembly.

This old chucks jaws are not concentric by several thousandths and will be glad when my new chuck and mounting plate arrives tomorrow. Now I can grind my jaws back concentric. The spindle is running true so the play is in the chuck.

Attachments

• 20211028_081951 (1).jpg
    20211028_081951 (1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
First cut really sucks! I "think" I might have my cutter tool set a little too high. I'll try adjusting a little later, when I get a chance, and see how it works. Looks like a record cut with a broken stylus.

Attachments

• 20211028_082020.jpg
    20211028_082020.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
What are the proper sizes of the motor and layshaft pulleys? I had these two pulleys so I just used them. Layshaft pulleys I used are 3-1/2" and motor 2-1/2". Low speed is 560 rpm and high speed is about 1700 rpm. I turned the motor belt inside out for better tightness. Both belts deflect 1/2" up and down.

Attachments

• 20211028_103342.jpg
    20211028_103342.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20211028_103558.jpg
    20211028_103558.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
What are the proper sizes of the motor and layshaft pulleys? I had these two pulleys so I just used them. Layshaft pulleys I used are 3-1/2" and motor 2-1/2". Low speed is 560 rpm and high speed is about 1700 rpm. I turned the motor belt inside out for better tightness. Both belts deflect 1/2" up and down.
The motor pulley you are using is for a larger section V belt. A V belt works on a wedging principle, and it must fit the pulley properly to work. Usually the inside width of the pulley at the outer diameter will match the max belt width.

I have a 618 lathe. I will try to measure the belts tomorrow for you.

I just used what I had laying around without spending any more money. What makes pulleys so darn expensive? Belt measurements will change so I could just use a rope for the new measurements. Wish someone had suggested that I mount my motor like in the left picture. This would work a lot better than the way I have it setup now. Right now the layshaft does nothing! Put the layshaft mount on top of a 2x4 and mount the motor between the lathe and layshaft assembly. Gonna change that tomorrow like the left picture.

Attachments

• img39.jpeg
    img39.jpeg
    855.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211028_103342.jpg
    20211028_103342.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
My back plate, MT1 arbor arrived this afternoon. Just waiting on my new chuck and "Craftsman" decals to arrive. Did anyone notice what I used for a cross slide handle? It's an outside faucet handle where I cut the center out and knurled the outside diameter.

Attachments

• 20211028_190241.jpg
    20211028_190241.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
It is relatively unusual to find a 3-jaw solid jaw chuck with the set of jaws that yours has installed. The missing set of jaws are the ones more commonly used and are normally the only set found on those chucks where the other set has been lost. So finding a 3-jaw chuck with the other set of jaws won't be difficult at all. So that is probably what I would do. They should be cheaper than a chuck with both sets of jaws or one with 2-piece jaws (which are reversible).

Back