Noga, and .0001 DTI

I remember that, I did buy one at the time, I just did not set it up for this episode.
When Mikey sent us that PM or whatever it was, I didn't buy one immediately cause I had no interest in an "old style" indicator base. But I eventually did & glad I did. There are even more stout ones, can't remember the brand/model right now, but they are much more than I want to spend. Glad I listened to Mikey. :) I don't use it much but I do use it in cases like this.

I did buy the FAB Nogas also, this FAT one sits by the lathe for random checks on things that I can't use the dial indicator mounted on the QCTP. One is the solid rod type, and the other is the beefy articulated one.

The problems with the Noga's are the " articulating arm " . Problem with them is they articulate when they shouldn't . And when the arms are no good , they're useless . This was another hype sale like these 2 indicator things to tram a mill . WTF ? An indicator and a bent rod will suffice in any day modern machine shop . I just have to laugh . :rolleyes:

I get why they made the FATs. With the FABs, I have ran into issues where the adjuster on the base won't do anything depending on how the base is oriented with the indicator & workpiece. You then have to readjust the orientation of the base so that it can tilt the arm in plane with the indicator. It can be annoying but you get used to it the more you use it & will quickly know when & how to avoid that.

It's also the reason that gave me the idea to make this hybrid Noga holder. It too has it limitations & quirks. I rarely use it though & was just one of those ideas that I had to try.

(Don't mind the repeating photos, another one of those threads affected from the forum migration, had no idea this one was affected. I'll fix it eventually)

The problems with the Noga's are the " articulating arm " . Problem with them is they articulate when they shouldn't . And when the arms are no good , they're useless . This was another hype sale like these 2 indicator things to tram a mill . WTF ? An indicator and a bent rod will suffice in any day modern machine shop . I just have to laugh . :rolleyes:
Articulating arms are affected more but it happens with solid rod indicator holders too. It's that stoopid gravity's fault. ;) Turn almost any indicator base unpside down while indicating something & see the result. Well no need to try for yourself, plenty of videos on YT & examples on the interweb.

I have a couple arms that I used on the paper presses . Clamp on style , no mag as the guards were aluminum . Articulating and they won't budge . These were used inverted to locate the plate guides . If I locate them I'll post a pic . I think they are in isle 6 , shelf 4 , bin # 2 . :grin:

:grin: :grin: :grin: Deja vu all over again

Speaking of the Sunpapers , I got a message from an ex-coworker today out of the blue . He's working up in Lancaster Pa at another plant . Not really a machinist but a great guy . He is in the machine shop now and looking to learn the tricks of the trade . He is joining up here . I'm waiting on him to join and I'll approve him . Don't play this guy in a horseshoe tournament unless you're his partner , you'll lose . Period . Waiting on Jeff .

EDIT . I DID make major progress on the wrench project today . :encourage:

Isle 3 , shelf 2 , bin #8 . DOA articulating Noga . Final burial is in 3 weeks . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 14
Back