Noga, and .0001 DTI

Okay, I got off of my retired butt, and went out to the shop to reevaluated my Heimer runout setup. I got my unused big Noga, and got the 10th indicator to zero repeatedly, getting the indicator near zero runout was challenging. When I spun the Heimer while in neutral on the mill it would induce spindle deflection, and the reading would go off just a touch visibly. I did my best zero setting, then spun the Heimer in low range at the slowest RPM, and I got it to settle in the picture while it was spinning. This is the result, but is the technique acceptable?

I just put my mill in neutral, I pop it out of back gear but do not engage the direct drive, the spindle spins very freely by hand with no deflection. One issue you may find has to do with the accuracy of the R8 collet itself. I use a high accuracy ER32 collet in an R8 arbor , the collet is the exact size of the Haimer shaft, it is also easier to rotate by the collet nut. The TIR of the ER system measuring the shaft of a carbide end mill is pretty much zip, with the Haimer aligned I typically get it down to 0.0001". I do periodically recheck the Haimer as it can change for one reason or another, I must of broken a half dozen tips through the years from stupid mistakes, like burning 20 dollar bills every time you break one. I also keep at least one spare tip. I have a Tschorn as a back up, but I prefer the Haimer. The Haimer is quite fragile, drop it and probably game over, it was mentioned that some machine shops have boxes of broken ones, as it is not cost effective to send them back to Germany for repair. The mechanical touch probe that attaches to my DRO is not as accurate, so never use it.

I'll have to get a spare tip just incase. I do not have any precision projects, and my skill level is still evolving, so I did this just to see if I could, and get the experience. :encourage:

Back