Noga, and .0001 DTI

Damn, that's a Nolda!
No , in 200 years when they dig up my back yard that will be an artifact ! Vintage at that . I could roll the crimps over on the lathe to fix it but why . Not like I don't have extras . :grin:

With the trend we're on & I really hope I'm wrong, whenever the kids in the future dig that up, along with screwdrivers & hammers, they'll have no idea what they are. The Noga arm they'll have guesses for & crazy ideas, but the hammers & screwdrivers, nope, no clue at all! :D

I dig old stuff up on the property and have no clue . I gave away a 4ft set of logging tongs not knowing what they were . :mad: I have 500 lbs of SHCSs and Allen keys buried here and know where they are . They should be well seasoned after 30 years .

LMAO, you crack me up, Dave. I can just picture you waking up on a Sunday morning, 'hmm, lets bury a crap load of cap screws & allen keys over there today". That should have the next guy questioning why & wtf! It actually sounds like fun!

I had to do this when I moved 2 houses up the street and didn't have the room for the entire shop . Not like it was fun back then , but it sure is NOW ! :grin: Bridgeport clamps , tee nuts , studs , 1/2-13 SHCSs , allen wrenches , etc were buried . Cheaper than fill dirt . I raised the yard up 6 ft even to the main road . Anyone who has visited can attest to this . The county wasn't happy , but I maintain the property .

To setup the Haimer you need a 0.0001" DTI, anything less an you will be chasing your tail. I use a Noga holders and have not had any problems with repeated accuracy down to 2/10,000 on my DRO. I have two Noga holders and do not seem to have any issues of repeatability with either of them. It is possible that something isn't secure in your holder or the DTI movement is too stiff and causing movement in the Haimer tip. I would also check if the tip is secure as well as the Haimer alignment set screws. They take a lot of time to dial down the tip TIR. You should be able to hold the Noga arm either in a collet or the chuck and check the repeatability against a fixed surface on the mill table against your DRO reading as to repeatability.

This is checking the spindle collet surface runout, I flip the indicator horizontally to check the Haimer tip runout. This Noga does not have a fine adjust, my other does. Might be the DTI mounting has some play/movement.
Compac 215GA.jpg

Thanks Mark, I'll give it another go, and see I can resolve the holder issues.

I have no experience with a haimer but lt looks like you are trying to measure 1 spring loaded indicator with another. Movement will be dependent on how much stronger one spring is than the other, also friction, so not surprising if it's not repeatable.

Just by feel the Heimer is stiffer than the than the DTIs, but a good point.

Back