Novice New To Machining

Get power to the lathe , oil it up and turn it on . Is the motor something you have power for where you live ? Good luck with it and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

I don't know anything about lathes either other than what I am told.Myself not understanding hating it so much before giving it a try,why was it purchase.Unless its busted,warp,bad casting it may be able to turn into a good machines which starts with a positive attitude.Spending 1600 would encourage me to make that lathe the best it can be.Where it was made they may have never heard of humidity,so alittle rust is easy to deal with.Chin up,change the attitude do some cleaning if that helps to become positive and just give it a try turning an OD on some scraps.I bet you will say"This is not so bad after all" Good luck stay positive :)

Alright, very very novice here. I have a new non brand Pakistani lathe machine which I cannot fully operate. Actually I can not get to my lathe due to different set up location. (I do not have 3 phase 440V current in my home)
It is a 4.5' belt driven, 1 hp 440v.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg

can you tell me what does this lever do? And how to drain/refill without taking the screws out?
If anyone can identify the lathe/model?

Thanks in advance
Rezwan, Dhaka

Edit: I have already ask this questions before in this forum. Forgive my ignorence and poor English.

Last edited:
If you are asking about the lever in the right side of the photo, I believe it is a backgear to select high and low speeds for the spindle.

Thank you very much for your reply sir.
With all due respect, is it possible to do a different function? (assuming it is spindle speed reduction and my ignorance)
I am a little far from my lathe and I believe you understand my frustration.

Thank you very much for your reply sir.
With all due respect, is it possible to do a different function? (assuming it is spindle speed reduction and my ignorance)

I read your question two different ways.

Is it possible the lever is for a purpose other than speed reduction? Yes, that is possible.

Is the purpose for speed reduction for performing different functions? Yes, that would be the reason. For example high speed for cutting plastic or aluminium, low speed for cutting steel.

You can check the function of the levers with the lathe unplugged and off. Use your hand to turn the spindle and move the various levers, which should allow you to observe different gear ratios/speeds and what each lever does when engaged.

The belt looks like it runs up into the head stock and drives the spindle speed gears.
I would say the lever on the left is for engaging back gear.
EDIT: The reason I say the left lever is for back gear is because this lever appears to engage the shaft that run alongside the spindle shaft. The lever also appears to have a cam on it. It looks like you would rotate it anti-clockwise, then lever forward or backward to shift the shaft back and forth.

The silver colored portion below the levers looks to me like a change gear box. It has a knob for removing the cover.
I would say the lever on the right is for changing how the spindle engages the change gear box. It could disengage the change gears, change the gear ratio (for quick swapping between metric and imperial for instance), or it could be used to change between feed and lead screws (assuming you have both).

Hard to really tell beyond guessing like this. You need to go look at your lathe and take some pics with the cover removed.

Your English is certainly adequate. when you can put your hands on the machine, without electricity to the motor, try turning the chuck by hand. Rotate it forward and back. If it won't turn at all, move the lever in question to another position. It's possible lit may not move easily. If it does move, attempt to find out if it will slip into and out of it's current position, and an alternate position. When is in an alternate position,, attempt to turn the chuck. It may be free, it may be stiff but able to be turned. . These are the three possibilities. 1) won't turn at all, 2) is free to turn and, 3) will turn but is engaged in gearing.

The first, Won't turn, means that the gear train to the motor is such that the motor will turn it slowly. The Second, Is Free, means that it is in "neutral" and another lever must be engaged to connect the gears. The third means that it is in "high" gear and the motor will spin it quickly.

I hope you can understand my explanations.

Hi Rezwan,
I agree with Joshua43214. The lever on the left (back side) of the spindle looks like it rotates the back gears in and out. The large gear on the spindle nearest the chuck is the bull gear. When the back gear is engaged the small (pinion) on the back gear drives the bull gear, BUT in order to do so the bull gear must somehow be disengaged from the gear at the other end of the spindle because the gear on the left end of the spindle (inside the headstock) must drive the large gear on the back gears. The back gears provide a way to decrease speed and increase torque.
The lever on the right in your picture, but left of the headstock when viewed by the operator (in front I would say) is almost certainly used to engage the lead screw or change gears or reverse the direction of them. You really need to get your hands on it and try some things.
Without better pictures I cannot say how to change the oil, but I would expect there to be a plug in the most inconvenient place possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back