Novice New To Machining

I get excited seeing my old post came top of the threads (now you see how ignorant I am :)).

I did manually rotate my chuck and change that lever (feed direction?) left-neutral-right position. I find, in left position the large gear rotates in one direction; right, another. And neutral position stops rotating the lage gear.

I power the motor but it sounds like minor humming without rotation. Well it worked before, I found someone unplug the wires on main line and messed somehow.

Please consider me dumbest novice and tell me anything.

Rez, that lathe represents a tremendous learning opportunity for you. I wish that lathe was in my hands.
Why did you buy it?

Thank you very much for your reply. It is a great machine which I have failed to realise.

Still I am not giving proper attention which my lathe deserves. I live in a place and put my lathe somewhere else (I am going to shift my residence there within a year). To me perhaps I bought my lathe in advance. Although i am able to visit it once or twice every week.

Last edited:
Hello Rezwan,
In reading your responses I think your are doing great. Not being an electrician I am guessing you may have an incorrect voltage situation that should be checked by a professional electrician. Make yourself some notes on the results when moving the various levers and what moves in what direction when the lever is moved as you did in finding the rotation of the large gear.
When you get to trying the machine in power mode be sure any movement can be made without getting parts getting tight or binding. I suggest using plastic pipe when making your first cuts; they should be shallow and with a slow carriage feed.
Enjoy your machine
Ray

Both threads merged to this one.

Last edited:
Lets continue this discussion over on Rez's other thread
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/novice-new-to-machining.41154/
I'm confused; that link is this thread that we're in now, which has the greatest number of posts and responses.
Rezwan,
Nice to see you back. Could you turn the spindle freely before you applied power? That lever you're talking about connects the spindle to the power feed and/or lead screw. In neutral only the spindle will turn, not the gears that determine feed and threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Jim Dawson merge my separated posts together upon my request. Thanks to @JimDawson for clearimg my mess. @Tozguy thank you very much sir for your reply.

@Steve Shannon thank you sir. Today, I am going to check/fix (with an expert) what happened to my lathes wiring. I went there yesterday and was not able to power the motor. I will post everything.
take care of yourself.

Edit: yesterday I manually turned the spindle without power.

I just came home with bad news. I went to my lathe today and with an electrician supervision we find the motor burned (he told me. he did not open the motor he wire it and same humming sound). Very sad for me. I successfully somehow spoil the motor by wiring it I guess.(the electrician told me it is possible to repair it and he did not find any wrong in connection)

When I first set the lathe over there, I did wire it according to diagram and it ran well (it was just for test and I directly connected it). It was six month ago. Now yesterday I wire it with extended cable and mcc circuit breaker but it did not run just humming sound.

That is not a big problem. I already remove the motor (I still needed to remove it for spacer/shim and refit it due to belt slightly touches chip pan) and it is on its way to diagnose and repair. I have to wait for couple of days, Friday and Saturday is holiday here. My desperation helped me manage an electrician on holiday.(I contacted him yesterday for a visit)

I will post what comes next.

Rezwan,

I am sorry to hear that.
I hope you consider it just a small setback and do not let it stop the progress you are making.

-brino

Back