Packing up the Shop

You're giving me nightmares TomS.

I went through a unplanned, forced move about a year and a half ago. I was minus my shop for about 6 months.

I hope your move goes better! :)

Unlike you our move is planned but as we get closer to the move our anxiety level is increasing. We signed the contract with the mover yesterday and now working on insurance. I'm not surprised but there is a minimum $ amount of coverage based on the total weight and priced accordingly. It's not cheap!

I'm planning that my shop will be down for several months too. My machines have been shut down for two weeks already. It's driving me crazy not being able to use them.

Thanks Jay. It's funny that just last month I was looking for projects. Now that my machines are out of service I've got four waiting and a couple more in the works.
Its like going on vacation from work, Nothing abnormal going on until the Friday your about to leave and then everyone needs something.

Good luck with the move.

I got married in 1999, because of my work we moved 5 times between then and 2012. 4 out of 5 were significant distances. My wife and I decided the last move was our last move. If we move again it will be due to California falling into the sea and we are going down with the house. :)

I hate moving, we are still unpacking from the move in 2012.

Good luck with the move.

I got married in 1999, because of my work we moved 5 times between then and 2012. 4 out of 5 were significant distances. My wife and I decided the last move was our last move. If we move again it will be due to California falling into the sea and we are going down with the house. :)

I hate moving, we are still unpacking from the move in 2012.

I'm feeling your pain. We've got boxes stacked everywhere in the house and shop and trying to keep it presentable for potential buyers. This past weekend our builder told us that our new house completion has been moved back two weeks. This is not fun.

Originally our move date was March 1 so we packed up the house and shop about three weeks ago. Shortly after getting everything ready for the movers our contractor moved the house completion date to March 23. Great! We've been living out of boxes for three weeks now and yesterday our move date got bumped again to April 13. My shop has been out of service for a month now and I have another month to wait. My patience is running thin.

We had something like that some years ago, tools in storage not available. A couple times I needed to buy a tool I knew I had in storage but needed to do something..

Will it ever end? The builder calls me on Friday afternoon saying we have to pay another $4,000 for kitchen cabinet materials they didn't order and that the completion date would be extended if I didn't approve this amount immediately. This is after we paid for "all options and upgrades" as specified in our contract. Evidently their subcontractor didn't give them a complete materials list.

After ripping his head off he agreed to $2,500 (his cost). Wow!! Now I feel better. Not!! He loses no money and I have to cough up $2,500. That's what I get for his supplier screwing up. Oh, and because of this my loan lock will expire I have to pay $1,200 to extend it and the $1,000 discount I negotiated with the moving company goes away.

Meeting with the builder on Monday. It won't be pretty.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Will it ever end? The builder calls me on Friday afternoon saying we have to pay another $4,000 for kitchen cabinet materials they didn't order and that the completion date would be extended if I didn't approve this amount immediately. This is after we paid for "all options and upgrades" as specified in our contract. Evidently their subcontractor didn't give them a complete materials list.

After ripping his head off he agreed to $2,500 (his cost). Wow!! Now I feel better. Not!! He loses no money and I have to cough up $2,500. That's what I get for his supplier screwing up. Oh, and because of this my loan lock will expire I have to pay $1,200 to extend it and the $1,000 discount I negotiated with the moving company goes away.

Meeting with the builder on Monday. It won't be pretty.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Extortion. You could help him find out the meaning of the word "contract."

Usually the building contract on the end side is not considered going in. You trust what the builder says and should but so many times things get late and there is nothing to do but wait, pay more as needed and wait more..

Seems like it would be better to have penalties for not completing on time like many municipal contracts are for roads, etc..

I know a family that was promised to get in the new condo before Thanksgiving and just got another 2 week delay after many delays.

Back