Packing up the Shop

Having built a custom home and dealing with a GC, his contractors and some of our own Subs, Jbolt has the proper perspective.
Know the game going in and even then its exciting

Believe it or not it will work out (just remembered the look I used to give when I was told that!). But you know it will, and you have all of us pulling for you! Good luck.
doug

Believe it or not it will work out (just remembered the look I used to give when I was told that!). But you know it will, and you have all of us pulling for you! Good luck.
doug

Thanks. I appreciate the support.

Best of luck to you guys.
All I can say is better you than me.
On the plus side, you will find things you forgot you had.
On the minus side, you will ask yourself why did I save that.
And just remember whatever you get rid of you will need it when you get to your new home.
Personally, I would rather take a butt whipping than move. I've been here for 35 years.
When I die I want to be buried in the backyard. Dig a large hole dump in my ashes and push all my junk on top.
Who say's you cant take it with you.
I read this, and thought "That is exactly how it would and should go for me". Then I read Mike in Oregon's post! After I get the screen clean enough to read again, all I can say is "Best Wishes, and Deepest Sympathy". I'll bet Mike's daughter knows mine!

An update. The builder finally realized he was responsible and agreed to settle the dispute for $500 and the mortgage company is splitting the loan lock extension cost with us. That is behind us now. Made the trip to check on progress (400 miles round trip) and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of activity. Evidently the butt chewing we gave him worked because the island was being worked on, the electrician was installing fixtures, plugs and switches, gutters were being installed, tile setters were doing their thing and landscapers were there too. Looks like we will close escrow late next week and moving the following week.

It cost us some money to get things moving but it was worth it.

Hey Tom,

I hope they got er done and the move is underway.

Earlier this week we put an offer on a place in Oregon. Beautiful piece of property. The seller countered our offer and tried to slip in an amended disclosure. Turns out the small guest house and the NEW septic system were never permitted. Had we known we never would have made the offer. My agent was livid since he had specifically asked them about it. Even worse was the listing agent didn't give us a heads up. Not cool. People suck sometimes.

It's too bad being such a nice property but no way was I willing to take the risk or expense of getting it permitted IF even possible not to mention the potential for fines. I have dealt with enough septic systems for clients over the years to know they are not to be taken lightly with the local authority. I'm tempted to rat them out to the county.

So you are moving to Oregon. Good for you. Where about in Oregon? I have a couple of friends that live there. One in Central Point and the other in Jacksonville. Too bad this property didn't work out for you but another will come along. Yeah, people do suck at times. Ask me how I know that.

Yes the move is underway. As a matter of fact I'm sitting in my new house writing this post. The only furniture we have are folding chairs out of our RV and an air bed. Not complaining though. We packed up the house last Sunday and waiting for our belongings to show up on Wednesday. We had snow in the mountains last Sunday and Monday so the moving trucks couldn't make it. Prior scheduling commitments delayed them until this coming Wednesday.

While some people try to take advantage there are still those out there that are good people. I was telling the owner of the moving company that once he got our household belongings moved I was going to have to make another trip to get one of our classic cars. He offered up his covered car hauler, truck and a driver at no additional cost. Saved me 10 hours of driving, an overnight stay and $100 in fuel. Nice guy!!

Once I start setting up shop I'll post some pictures.

Good luck with house hunting.

Reactions: Z2V
Glad to hear you are in your new house. Looking forward to some pics

Back