Packing up the Shop

So you are moving to Oregon. Good for you. Where about in Oregon? I have a couple of friends that live there. One in Central Point and the other in Jacksonville. Too bad this property didn't work out for you but another will come along. Yeah, people do suck at times. Ask me how I know that.

Yes the move is underway. As a matter of fact I'm sitting in my new house writing this post. The only furniture we have are folding chairs out of our RV and an air bed. Not complaining though. We packed up the house last Sunday and waiting for our belongings to show up on Wednesday. We had snow in the mountains last Sunday and Monday so the moving trucks couldn't make it. Prior scheduling commitments delayed them until this coming Wednesday.

While some people try to take advantage there are still those out there that are good people. I was telling the owner of the moving company that once he got our household belongings moved I was going to have to make another trip to get one of our classic cars. He offered up his covered car hauler, truck and a driver at no additional cost. Saved me 10 hours of driving, an overnight stay and $100 in fuel. Nice guy!!

Once I start setting up shop I'll post some pictures.

Good luck with house hunting.

Excellent! Glad to hear you got your house done. Hopefully life will be back to normal soon.

I have been wearing down my wife for several years to move out of California. A month a go a house next to her cousin in Merlin OR, (Grants Pass area) came up for sale and my wife suggested we take a look at it. No hesitation on my part. Unfortunately my schedule didn't allow us to see it in time before the owners accepted an offer but we already had plans to visit with her cousin so we went anyway. My wife's cousin is one of the last remaining members of her family which we are close to and she likes the idea of being nearer to them. We spent several days driving around the area and talking with the locals. The area is a good fit for us. The only negative is with the legalization of pot in Oregon there are a lot of small pot growers around which comes with some less than savory people. Nothing compared to the Bay Area though.

Our current plan is to purchase the property and rent it for a few years until our kids are done with college then move. We will keep our home in California as a rental.

Excellent! Glad to hear you got your house done. Hopefully life will be back to normal soon.

I have been wearing down my wife for several years to move out of California. A month a go a house next to her cousin in Merlin OR, (Grants Pass area) came up for sale and my wife suggested we take a look at it. No hesitation on my part. Unfortunately my schedule didn't allow us to see it in time before the owners accepted an offer but we already had plans to visit with her cousin so we went anyway. My wife's cousin is one of the last remaining members of her family which we are close to and she likes the idea of being nearer to them. We spent several days driving around the area and talking with the locals. The area is a good fit for us. The only negative is with the legalization of pot in Oregon there are a lot of small pot growers around which comes with some less than savory people. Nothing compared to the Bay Area though.

Our current plan is to purchase the property and rent it for a few years until our kids are done with college then move. We will keep our home in California as a rental.

Grants Pass is a nice area. Been there several times. If you haven't done it yet you've got to try the Hell's Canyon boat trip down the Rogue River. Lot's of other fun stuff to do too.

Marijuana is legal in Nevada as well. Not quite sure it will grow well in the high desert. We'll see.

Happy property hunting. In time you will find the perfect place.

Finally got moved into the new house. Yesterday the internet provider and satellite TV technicians were here. Finally able to communicate and relax in front of the TV. The movers showed up this past Wednesday. The first picture is before they started moving my tools and equipment into their new home. The second picture shows what it looks like after they got done. This is going to be as test of my organizational skills.

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

Oh boy, that looks familiar! ;)

One day at a time is all you can do. And eventually it will be done. :)

Oh boy, that looks familiar! ;)

One day at a time is all you can do. And eventually it will be done. :)

Yeah, one day at a time with a dumpster sitting outside the shop. I started sorting through some of the boxes today and and ended up with a sizeable pile of junk. I'll get there. Just need to have some patience.

Tom, at least you are unpacking...... I’m starting to pack two houses and some stuff from a friend’s shop. Looks like it will be 3, 40’ box vans and a 53’ flat bed when it’s time to go!

Tom, at least you are unpacking...... I’m starting to pack two houses and some stuff from a friend’s shop. Looks like it will be 3, 40’ box vans and a 53’ flat bed when it’s time to go!

Now that's a lot of stuff! I filled up a 53' enclosed trailer and one 26' box van.

Now that's a lot of stuff! I filled up a 53' enclosed trailer and one 26' box van.

I'll bulk out two of the box trailers with airplanes...The two fuselages will take up nearly one by them selves. The welding table, sheet metal tools, mills, the big drill press and the riveters will come close to filling the deck of the flat bed. Add the tractor and it's stuff, the motorcycle and sidecar and 7 vehicles, and it's a lot of stuff that's not in the house. Fortunately, I've got a while before it all has to move.

Hi Tom, so who did you use for the move and what did it end up costing? was it estimated by weight? I'm a few years away from such an adventure but curious what it would cost for an out of state move.

Looks good. Congrats on getting moved and looking forward to seeing the new shop all set up.

Mike

Back