Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

It looks like the 9002 is a gel that you do not have to keep attending to. May want to check it out.
I think I looked through this when I first found the site. Gel would be great for like 7milesup’s wheels, but not for me so I discarded it from my feeble memory.

#1 that’s a single use application. Even though it says it’s non toxic where do you rinse something like that off and not worry about the residue?

I was shocked there was not much smell when I poured the stripper into the modified covered cake pan I used for my parts. The old stuff about burned my face off when I poured it into the pan. The smell happened after I pulled the cover off after letting the part soak. It took almost the whole gallon to cover the parts. The old stuff in a smaller uncovered pan with at smaller part by the time the part was clean probably 2-30% had evaporated. Almost none of the new stuff in the covered pan evaporated. I think all my loss after doing 4 pieces was from not having the right funnel to pour the stripper back in the gallon jug it came in. It originally was full to brim and when I was done with the recovery it was about 1” from the brim.

The other thing I noticed was the stripper got incredibly dark as the powder coat I use is semi gloss black exclusively. But after the parts were done and I was pouring it back in the jug most of what I was pouring back was pretty clear and it seemed the old powder coat had mostly precipitated out to a sludge in the bottom of the pan. I didn’t pour the sludge into the jug but wiped it out of the pan. Cleaned up easy. By the way it cleaned the last part as good as the first(unlike the old stuff) I expect the recovered stripper to work next time I need it also unlike the old stuff.

There is so many variables in this process it’s hard to make a hard and fast rule that would apply to everyone but for me the expense and good outcome has been worth it.

Just don't use it to prep for welding.
Brake Fluid or Brake Cleaner?

Brake Cleaner makes Phosgene gas when burned, which is very dangerous. I don't know if Brake Fluid (DOT 2, 3, 4, or 5) is dangerous if burned.

Yep, my misquote. Break Cleaner is the dangerous one that I am aware of. No knowlledge about Brake Fluid. Thanks for the correction.
Chlorinated brake cleaner is the one to avoid. Supposedly, non-chlorinated is safe, but I’d just avoid using brake kleen of any sort on something that will/may be welded….

I thought Methylene Chloride has been banned for a while??? I have not been able to get it for years. If any one kno⅞:ws a source please advise.
It is available through several small suppliers on Etsy. Shop around because it ranges from $45-300 a liter.
I use a product called Weld-On 3 to join acrylic. The primary ingredient is DCM. The sds range is 70-90%. I've never intentionally used it to remove paint, but I know it will. I stocked up when they started talking about banning it. I'm glad I did.
Large suppliers like Sigma aren't going to deal with individuals. I doubt they'd even send you a catalog if you asked. Or so I've herd. I never tried. Going through the seco+nd tier vendors has always worked out for me.

Good luck recreating your favorite paint stripper. It's rewarding to pulling that sort of stuff.

I bought about 10 cans of the “good stuff” before it disappeared off the shelves.
Be careful. Over time, the "good stuff" will eat its way out of the can (ie, dissolve the steel). Ask me how I know. Change the cans about every two years.

Be careful. Over time, the "good stuff" will eat its way out of the can (ie, dissolve the steel). Ask me how I know. Change the cans about every two years.
same thing happened to me. A brand new gallon (un-opened), empty. What confused the hell out of me, is I never saw a hint of it. and it pin holed on the bottom.. but nothing below it was destroyed.

You can get dichloromethane (methylene chloride) on Etsy for $44/liter. I am wondering if you could just add this to big box paint stripper? If so, how much? Does anyone's old can give a breakdown of the ingredients?

Yep, and you can't store it in plastic either- it just disappears/goes dead

Last edited:
Back