bobl

Registered
Registered
Good luck with sick wife

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
Bubble wrap was just a suggestion, there are many ways to keep items from moving. I bow out of this one since suggestions are not wanted. Terry, autonoz, my apologies for stepping in here to try and help. Won't happen again.

"Billy G"
As Autonoz said, no apologies are necessary, Bill. In reality, this is Autonoz's gig, I just help out a little when I can so he doesn't have to bear it all by himself. Likewise, your help and advice is appreciated as well, no need for you to feel as though you need to butt out!

I must admit that I also am guilty of not packing the contents well enough when the boxes were here. I packed them in a manner that I thought was adequate, but I could have done better. My son put things into perspective for me when we recently discussed the subject. He worked for a time as a package handler at UPS. Package handlers there have their performance rated based on the number of packages they can handle per hour, with the more the better. Fast handling translates into poor handling, in other words the roughest treatment you can imagine. Packages are thrown and tossed in careless fashion with little or no concern for contents. I would assume that USPS, Fed Ex, and others set the bar for their package handlers as well, with similar results.

On the flip side, I wonder how many other packages have been damaged by our boxes due to their significant weight and robust construction. There's some food for thought!

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Sometimes I feel like the Monkey Wrench in the gears here but at the same time I feel OK with it. I only watch and suggest to make sure things go right.

"Billy G"

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Bill G, don't hesitate to chime in. If you trod on a toe, it's because it's over the line. I've seen you to be fair and competent, based on the posts you have made. As for handling the boxes, my wife is a postal carrier. The heavier it is, the more they hate it and slam it around. A 30lb box had better be able to take the abuse, cause it'll get plenty. Good packing is essential, and odds'n'ends make good fillers.

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
I enjoy this sort of game so would like to see it carry on, I would be willing to fabricate a 1/8" thick aluminum box with a screw on lid that fits inside the USPS Flat Rate box and ship it to whomever has the original at the time. I also like the challenge of having the USPS try to damage it.
I work in a fair sized machine shop so we have a large amount of drops at hand, I am not a welder by trade but am proficient at it and it does not have to be beautiful (-:
We do mostly stainless parts so aluminum is less common, this may take several weeks to finish. I also have a very nice employer that will allow the machinists to do personal projects off the clock using whatever equipment required.
Let me know what you think.

catskinner

Registered
Registered
Actually the plywood boxes are holding up well it is mostly a learning curve on the packing of the inside.

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
I will knock one out then, years ago one of my customers told me that they tested their packaging for new products by shipping samples by UPS, to themselves.

catskinner

Registered
Registered
Box 1 is on its way to wlwhittier in Port Angeles, WA. 36# of awesome

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
I will knock one out then, years ago one of my customers told me that they tested their packaging for new products by shipping samples by UPS, to themselves.
So which size box are you going to make?
Box 1 is 11 7/8ʺ x 3 3/8ʺ x 13 5/8ʺ
Box 2 is 11ʺ x 8 1/2ʺ x 5 1/2ʺ

Those are outside measurements of the two boxes that are currently in use.

Wreck™Wreck

Silver
Former Member
The inside dimensions are readily available on the internet, I would go 1/8" small, 13.5 X 11.75 X 3.25 just to be on the safe side.
4.03 LBs minus brackets and hardware in aluminum. Easy as pie, does not need to be fully welded as it need not hold liquids, a 1" stitch weld 2" apart will be more then required.

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
Might be a good idea to stop by a post office and pick up a box for test fits.

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
If you build to the advertised dimensions, it will fit perfectly in the cardboard box from the USPS. That is what I did with box #1 when I built it. If you build it undersize it will fit loosely.

extropic

Active User
Registered
Greetings,
I've had Box #2 for a full week now. Thank you all for your patience. Since I last posted here, priorities of the real world have prevailed, until this evening. So, I had a week to consider options. My thinking is that the wood/wood screw interface just won't hold up to the pounding, regardless of quantity. Installing inserts and using machine screws would be more robust but I expect the plywood would get pounded out (releasing the inserts) pretty quickly. I considered cutting a rectangle of 1/4" ply, snug fit to the box interior, and gluing it to the inside of the lid, to take some of the lateral loads off of the screws. But, I think that would just break the corner joints on the side panels. I decided to weld up a frame out of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 angle iron.
Pass Around Box 2 Frame.jpg

Here it is mounted in the box.
Pass Around Box 2 Frame Installed.jpg

The screw holes were laid out coarsely with a measuring tape so I made the hole pattern obviously asymmetrical to make R&R a no-brainer. I ended up with 16 screws to hold the lid to the frame and the same number for frame to box. I hope everyone uses a power screwdriver to R&R the cover so you won't think bad thoughts (about me). :ban: :fatigue:

The screws are 8-32 x 3/4 long, truss head (the type commonly used to hold drawer pulls). Snug is good enough.

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would build two frames (top and bottom) and just screw the 6 plywood panels on. No glue, no nails. Time will tell how the frame approach holds up.

Tuesday I'll make my selections, add some goodies and repackage. Maybe get it in the mail Tuesday, Wednesday for sure.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
By the time the boxes get remade they'll be like the old stage coach strong box. And weigh the same too. Box two now just gained three pounds in steel . Next thing will be weight limits on the shipping by the post office, never let a good thing last to long. Never know they may be trying to get there people in shape (hidden agenda )then they will leave it plus it makes them plenty of money.

autonoz

Active User
Registered
Great job. You guys are really putting a lot of time and effort into this. I am sure everyone appreciates it. I know I do.

autonoz

Active User
Registered
Wreck Wreck, do you want me to add you to the list of box two so you are in the rotation?

catskinner

Registered
Registered
I think they do have a weight limit now, it used to be if it fits it ships, now I think it is 70#. Box 1 had 36# when I shipped it yesterday, probably if I poured it full of lead shot I might have made 70#.

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
It may helpa little to put a "heavy" sticker on the box.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

roadkillbobb

Registered
Registered
I think the pass around box contents have taken a back seat to whoever can build a USPS destruction prove box..lol:courage:
reinforced titanium box may work..they have big 18 wheelers to run those boxes over with....

extropic

Active User
Registered
It may helpa little to put a "heavy" sticker on the box.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker
A sticker might be counterproductive. A buddy of mine, that worked for UPS, told me every box gets tossed underhand "marked FRAGILE goes overhand".

autonoz

Active User
Registered
I look at it this way. If you don't want heavy packages then don't allow them. If as supervisors you have employees mishandling heavy packages because it is to much work then get rid of them and maybe leave yourself. I don't take customer service lightly and if we are paying then we deserve the best customer service they can offer. You may say this is not realistic in todays workforce and your probably right. There is no integrity anymore.

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
If
I think they do have a weight limit now, it used to be if it fits it ships, now I think it is 70#. Box 1 had 36# when I shipped it yesterday, probably if I poured it full of lead shot I might have made 70#.
If I remember rightly ( I can't guarantee any more ,it started out @ 40 lbs.) the
first box was ~ 20. .........BLJHB.

extropic

Active User
Registered
Box 2: When I wrote "Wednesday for sure" I didn't factor in Veterans day. I showed up but USPS was closed so, Thursday for sure.

Here are the items I kept. The set in the red case is a style of screw extractor that I wasn't familiar with. I was able to order replacements for the missing parts because Rigid still sells this style. Replacement drill bits, no problem. There is a 1/2" end mill holder w/ MT 3 shank. The 3 jaw chuck is junk (hammered on, non functional) so I took it (for my scrap bin) to make room in the box. All (14) the black hex/threaded things are 3 sizes of rest buttons (I sometime use as jig feet) that will come in handy. The remainder is pretty obvious.
Pass Around Kept.jpg

I left the damaged borescope in the box because I enjoyed seeing (touching) a neat project like that one. I had previously read the post on the project, but it really came to life for me 'in the flesh', so to speak. I thought it might be motivational to see. I hope others will like it too.

My expectations were that this whole thing would be much simpler, faster, less work than it turned out to be. What else is new? However, the box is in good shape (for now anyway) and the contents are much better protected. There was a shank on the chuck (that I kept) and I thought the shank might be serviceable (if not bent by the hammering that the chuck experienced). I separated the shank from the chuck, cleaned off the most tenacious tape & goo that I've ever encountered, stoned down the gouges and dings and packaged it. I made custom packaging for three of the more fragile/precision items. I laminated (glued) sheets of cardboard into a stack taller than the item. Then, cut out a pocket (nest) for the item and glued on a bottom. Packed the item inside with a little news print, covered with cardboard and wraped the whole thing in news print, taped. I wrapped each shank and collet in paper and stuffed each into a roll from paper towels/toilet tissue.

Please package items well. I vote for fewer, nicer (not trashed in transit) items rather than a greater selection of beat-up projects.

Please don't apply tape directly on any items, including cardboard packaging. Wrap the items in paper, then tape the paper. Paper is free (junk mail abounds) and easier to re-do than cleaning all the tape/residue off of items.

Be careful out there.

Last edited:

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
As for the borescope - I have the parts for several more. So when either box comes around my way, I'll be adding a couple. I'll also try to find some way to package/protect them - at least the glass portion. How to keep the aluminum flashlight housing from getting severely dented might be a horse of a different color ;~)

extropic

Active User
Registered
As for the borescope - I have the parts for several more. So when either box comes around my way, I'll be adding a couple. I'll also try to find some way to package/protect them - at least the glass portion. How to keep the aluminum flashlight housing from getting severely dented might be a horse of a different color ;~)
John,
There was a small part, loose in the box, that I didn't recognize or know what to do with. It fit into the 'objective' end of the ell fitting so I stuck it in there. Is it part of the borescope?

Pass Around Loose Part.jpg

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
That looks like a piece of plastic that comes with replacement hose end. I do not remember seeing it, but I did have my grandson around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock