Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken a screen shot of the list and will check often to make sure it is correct. As I am not a computer wiz, there is not much else I can do. Sorry if anyone was cheated and I wish you would rejoin Bill

If we are to carry Pass it on , it must lose its importance to anyone. If there seems
to be a "mix- up, mention it once, expect a reply, and leave it at that.....BLJHB

Bill, it is quite possible that no one cheated you, at least not intentionally. With an open system like the Google spreadsheet, the system has to be able to handle multiple changes from multiple users. I will attempt to do a simple explanation of what can happen using mostly fictitious people.

Bill opens the spreadsheet and scrolls to the bottom. The last name that he sees on the list is George. So, while Bill is looking things over, Mike logs in and opens a copy of the spreadsheet also. Mike also sees the last name on the list is George, and adds his name below George's. Mike's changes do not automatically appear on Bill's screen. He needs to refresh it to see the latest changes. Not being aware of this, Bill finishes looking around and finally adds his name to the bottom of the list, not knowing that Mike's name is there also. Google spreadsheet has to handle both additions but cannot automatically 'push' the latest change out to Bill's computer, so Bill adds his name below George and closes the spreadsheet and life is good, or so he thinks.

Google spreadsheet added the first name (Mike's) to the spreadsheet directly under George's , because it was added first, before Bill's name was added. Since Bill's name was added after Mike's, Bill's name got added to the list under Mike's instead of George's. But, Bill never saw that because he never refreshed the page.

So, the next day, Bill opens the spreadsheet again and sees that Mike's name is added to the list under George's name, and Bill's name appears under Mike's. Naturally, he is upset because that is not what he saw when he added his name. It truly appears that somebody pulled a fast one, even though that may not be what happened.

Autonoz, you might want to consider limiting the number of people that can edit the spreadsheet to help avoid this problem in the future. The possibility exists for upwards of fifty different individuals to edit that list, and it could potentially (though not probable) happen where all or many of them could attempt to make changes to it at the same time. Just think of the mess that could make!

Bill is all set everyone, I talked to him yesterday. Give him a little room to settle down and all will be OK. Thank You.

"Billy G"

Heads up, everyone, as a change has been made. In the interest of preventing errors on the spreadsheet, Autonoz requested my help in securing the spreadsheet. Here are the details:
1. The spreadsheet is still accessible from the link in post #1 of this thread.
2. When you open the spreadsheet, it will be 'Read Only'. You will be able to see all of the information on it but will not be able to add information or make any other changes.
3. At this point only Autonoz and myself are able to make changes to the spreadsheet. We will probably add another individual yet, most likely someone on the H-M staff.

Going forward:
1. If you want your name or other information added or removed from the spreadsheet, contact Autonoz or myself by starting a Conversation with one or both of us. We will then add you to the list, or remove you per your request. Please do not post your request in this thread as it will only add unnecessary clutter.
2. When you send or receive a box, please DO post a note in this thread. Autonoz and I will update the spreadsheet.
3. If you spot an error on the spreadsheet, please sent a note to one of us by way of a Conversation so that we can correct the problem.

Since changes can only be made by specific people, Google Spreadsheet will keep a history of who made changes, what was changed, and when they were made. Taking these steps should greatly reduce the possibility of errors on the spreadsheet and will add some accountability as well.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applaude Terrywerm for his didication to this game. On to another topic. The box has made it to a few people now yet we only have one post with pictures as to what someone took from the box. Personally I think it would add more interest to the game "if that's what were calling it" if folks would post pictures of the items they took and maybe comment on their experience. Of courese, keep it positive.

Kingmt01 currently is in possession of the first box. The next member to recieve it is rodkillbobb, but your security does not allow messaging. Can you make contact with him so he can get the info he needs to send the box to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back