Pass Around 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news, the box showed up today! The thing is massive, heavy, and packed SOLID! I'm convinced hman spent an absurd amount of his life playing Tetris the way this was packed in :) I ended up taking a bunch of fun and useful stuff, and packed it as tight as I could (though I know I took out more than I put in, I couldn't get in any more!).

The box!
PXL_20201123_200207337.jpg
The Haul!
PXL_20201123_204021677.jpg

PXL_20201123_204032325.jpgPXL_20201123_204035330.jpgPXL_20201123_204038026.jpg

I've been meaning to pick up some medical calipers like those for chip control, so I was thrilled to see those! I've never had an adjustable reamer, so I'm looking forward to playing with that. My lathe runs too slow for carbide, so the HSS will help feed that! (plus my shaper!). I've never used adjustable parallels as well, but had a few situations where I wished I had them, so that is great too! AND a nice centerfinder is definitely something I have use for!

The tape measure was just too cool looking to leave :)

I'm just as excited about the carbide insert mills, I have had trouble not burning up mills with my random-pile of mills, so consistent and replacable bits is awesome!

Thank you everyone!

I am going to try to pop this in the mail today on my way back to the hospital, so it should be in dat510's hands in a few days!

Double post!

Last edited:
I forgot about the piece of cast bronze or brass! To be honest, I ran out of room packing everything into the box, so it was odd man out. I'm sure I'll get good use out of it however, non-round brass/bronze stock always comes in handy!

Just mailed it, 36 lbs! Should show up on Saturday!

Yeeeee-Haaaaa! Glad it got there OK. Yes, indeed, it's a fun game of 3-dimensional Tetris! Did I ever mention that I once had a part time job at IBM in Austin, packing and shipping small parts to go out to field engineers? Of course, at IBM we had LOTS of packaging materials, and space was not a problem. Just get a bigger box.

If you have any ideas of what kind of alloy that could be, I would love to know I still have the rest of that ingot on the shelf..... It almost seems like some kind of Babbitt but I'm not sure.....
PXL_20201123_204021677.jpg

As long as you can eliminate cadmium or beryllium from your list of candidates. Have you waved a Geiger counter over it?

As long as you can eliminate cadmium or beryllium from your list of candidates. Have you waved a Geiger counter over it?

The only reason I think babbitt is because I cut that piece off on the bandsaw, blade fell right through it like cheese and I melted the corner of that piece very quickly with a mapp gas torch.... It came with a pile of Bronze Ingots from an ancient high school shop class....

Could it be a bismuth alloy with a melt temp that low? Babbitt would likely be found in random chunks of old mystery metal, so that makes sense too. You've got to get a XRF reading if you can. Local scrap yard might have one. Before you go using it as a door stop, anyway.

The box will be on it's way to Scra99tch tomorrow. The Log book arrived today so it is now back with the box. The box is hovering around 40lbs.

One of the nutserts popped loose. Luckly it was only one, so I was able to pivot the lid around the screw to get the box open. I didn't have the means to re-attach it. But I left it in the box, attached to the screw, incase one of you has the means to re-attach it down the line. A couple of quick "spots" from a TIG might work?

Some nice things in the box. Too big for my machines. But some one will be happy.

I liked the (Guessing here...... Magnetic Swarf Picker Uppers?) Kept one of those for myself.

IMG_6226.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back