Pass Around 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the S7 tool steel in there.... Its some crazy tough material.... It can harden while turning it if you don't run coolant.....

I put in that ER50 bar. It is beyond tough. It was used to make module 1 gears that did not need hardening even though the gears were handling 1 HP at 10,000 RPM with shock loading. Good carbide will cut it but only with a very aggressive cut. No sneaking up on a dimension, and watch out for the swarf. It will make for a very tough, wear resistant part.
That piece was the drop from a 10ft bar. I rescued a few of them from the scrap bin.

Thanks for the info, guys. And especially for the cautions. I don't have anything specific in mind yet, but will save it for a project worthy of the material.

ITS HERE!!!!!!!
View attachment 340875

here is what I took from the box..... I was seriously just about to buy that same insert tool from ebay thank you for saving me some cash....
View attachment 340876
This is the smallest Indicator stand(pry bar) I have ever seen.....
View attachment 340877
THIS IS NOT FOR THE BOX JUST SHARING MY SMALL HEIGHT GAUGE.
I’ve got a small height gauge to too a lufkin 531 it is tiny! I sure love the little thing and the bluing on it is beautiful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 19
The check is in the mail!

ETA 11/19. Went to the counter, not the kiosk. The clerk was out of "Heavy" stickers, but she wrote it on the box with a sharpie in several places. I asked about the weight and she told me "Just under 39 lbs." She thanked me when I told her I'd brought it to the counter to avoid crushing previous packages in the drop chute.

I'll scan the receipt and PM it to @ErichKeane

The check is in the mail!

ETA 11/19. Went to the counter, not the kiosk. The clerk was out of "Heavy" stickers, but she wrote it on the box with a sharpie in several places. I asked about the weight and she told me "Just under 39 lbs." She thanked me when I told her I'd brought it to the counter to avoid crushing previous packages in the drop chute.

I'll scan the receipt and PM it to @ErichKeane
Great! I'll try for a really fast turn around, my wife goes in for surgery on Monday, after which I'll not be at the house for a week or two, so I'm going to try to get it into the mail before then.

OK, here's what I kept:
View attachment 344170
Had more stuff to add than there was room for, but I managed to squeeze most of it in.

Then I made a small modification to the box. The cover plate, BEAUTIFUL as it is, with the (laser?) engraved logo, had square edges. It ripped up the first flat rate box I tried to get it into. So I rounded off the corners and edges, reducing the circumference just a skosh. It's now sealed into the box, addresses both inside and out, ready to take to the post office Monday.
Nice haul John! Yes, laser engraved logo and I was wondering if carton gluing variation in the priority boxes around the country would catch up to the VERY tight fit and square corners. Sounds like your modifications to the box did the trick?

For future recipients, priority boxes are free to take. Take an extra with you in case you tear the carton. As the box gets heavier - and it will - the risk of tearing goes up. An extra carton will feel like a smart move when it happens to you.

Thank you SO much for that wonderful box!!! When I rounded the edges, I tried to do a job worthy of the work you'd done.

PM sent to Erich ... with best wishes for your wife!

I found that the trick is not to try to put the metal box into the carton. The box is heavy and hard to finesse. It worked a lot better to stand the box on end and slide the carton down over the box with both ends of the carton still open.

I wish I had known that some post offices do not have the HEAVY stickers. They gave me a lot and I should have stuffed them in the box for others.

I actually used your technique for "inserting" the box in the box. As for the stickers, it may well have been just this one clerk. Somebody ahead of me needed something, and she told him she didn't have any. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to get some extras ... though by the time you get to the post office, the package is probably already sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back