Picked this Logan up today

Looking good! That things is crying out for a couple gallons of Evaporust. Once you get it and pour it into a plastic container, you can pack all the little parts in it as will fit. Just don't let any part stick out of the liquid, or it will etch it at the liquid/air line.
Does it run if you apply power?

Looking good! That things is crying out for a couple gallons of Evaporust. Once you get it and pour it into a plastic container, you can pack all the little parts in it as will fit. Just don't let any part stick out of the liquid, or it will etch it at the liquid/air line.
Does it run if you apply power?

I have the evapo rust, but I have not applied power to it. I have everything apart except for the head stock. There is a picture with a question a couple of post back that is holding me up. Everything moves freely and there are no broken gears so I am sure it will run fine. The gear change box is apart as well as the apron and everything is aok with them except for the broke gear change bracket. Do you have some insight as to my dilemma with the head stock and do I need to be worried about it running if everything moves freely and there are no broken gears?

Off to the races. I am tearing down the 1922 I just picked up the other day. In the picture you will see a gear that is located on the back of the headstock shaft. I found a rebuild on line that shows this individual knocking the gear off. His shaft is shorter than mine and is threaded on the end. In the picture you can see mine appears to have an extension on it. It looks like it threads on, hence the threads on his picture. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Also, if it does thread off, does the gear stay behind or come off with it? Can someone tell me what this extension is for, it has three threaded hole on the end? It appears it is going to be a bear to get off.

Follow up. I got the end unscrewed, it came off pretty easy after sitting overnight with PB Blaster. The gear tapped off easy and the shaft came out with no problem. Now to determine if any parts are missing off of shaft. I guess I will have to wait for my manual. I still do not know what the extension is for.

You're using my two favorite chemicals, Evaporust and PBblaster! Looks like that's going to be the deal of the year!

Memories. The company I work for bought out a one-man machine shop and its proprietor, many years ago, and one of the machines he brought with him was a Logan like yours. It had a bad lead screw so it was never used, but was my first exposure to the Logan name. They eventually sold it and I thought I maybe should have made an offer, but honestly I probably would never have needed the turret. Anyway I later bought an 11" 955, so I'm a happy Logan owner after all.

Got it stripped down and everything is apart. Now to de-grease, strip old paint, de-rust and re-paint. I have done a few of the small stuff.

lathebed.jpg painted pieces.jpg View attachment 111162

Back