Picked this Logan up today

Ok guys, I appreciate all the help, Randy, it's really not that far from Wisconsin to West Texas if you've got some of that extra elbo grease you could share ; )

Ok guys, I appreciate all the help, Randy, it's really not that far from Wisconsin to West Texas if you've got some of that extra elbo grease you could share ; )

If you get me your address, I will ship it. :rofl:

Anybody know how to get the gears back on. There just does not seem to be enough room to have the key in the shaft and still leave room at the end to slide the gears on. I must be a rock. Pulling my hair out in Ariz.

changegearshaftrepair.jpg

Anybody know how to get the gears back on. There just does not seem to be enough room to have the key in the shaft and still leave room at the end to slide the gears on. I must be a rock. Pulling my hair out in Ariz.
Never mind. I went back out and decided the only way was to pull the brass bushing out and put the key through the hole. It worked. Did not see any other way.

It's been something like 15 years since I had mine apart, so I didn't remember. Memory is the second thing to go. I forget what's first.

Wow....that is a SCREAMING deal. The chuck alone is worth $250. Logan wouldn't be my first choice in old iron lathes, but that one seems to be very well built....and heck...once you get it cleaned, derusted, and painted, you could sell it for around $1k and get something you really want! Congratulations!

Wow....that is a SCREAMING deal. The chuck alone is worth $250. Logan wouldn't be my first choice in old iron lathes, but that one seems to be very well built....and heck...once you get it cleaned, derusted, and painted, you could sell it for around $1k and get something you really want! Congratulations!

Wow! Talk about bursting a guys bubble. LOL!:))

Wow! Talk about bursting a guys bubble. LOL!:))

Yeah, I guess we all will have to work on trading up. Not sure how I will manage until then.

Really was an uncalled for comment.

Last edited:
Sorry, now that I read that again, it does come off pretty bad. I had a few beers in me, so I deserve whatever you guys might throw at me :whiteflag:

I guess I got a bad impression of Logan because of the size of lathes I was looking at over the last few years. Like many of the South Bends, the smaller lathes from most of the big names aren't all that great....take Atlas for example. Me personally, I was kind of let down when I got a 9C on Ebay and saw it in person. It seemed like a toy to me. But in all fairness, they were designed for the individual and meant to be sold at an affordable price point. I had restored a 1919 14.5" lathe right before that, and I guess I was biased in favor of the heavy stuff.

At the other end of the spectrum, once you get to the lathes that are around 14" or so in swing, you start to see some real quality. The castings are much nicer, and the fit and finish is just better. I think you have the latter, which is what I was trying to say.

Personally, I like to go through these machines and fix them up. I don't aim for museum quality restoration, just something to be proud of. I might play with the machine for a while, and when I see something else I like, it is very easy to sell old iron in "refurbished" condition. I usually get my money back and then some...then move onto the next project....each time I keep that knowledge I gained. In turn, having that knowledge makes me better at evaluating a machine and I can better discriminate between the machines that "look" bad versus the ones that "are" bad.

At any rate, I didn't mean to offend....quite the opposite. This is a score worth gloating over, any way you look at it! :drink:

Sorry, now that I read that again, it does come off pretty bad. I had a few beers in me, so I deserve whatever you guys might throw at me :whiteflag:
At any rate, I didn't mean to offend....quite the opposite. This is a score worth gloating over, any way you look at it! :drink:

Well, as long you explain it that way, we forgive ya. But, you have to admit, it did look like a drive-by.

Back