Picked this Logan up today

Well for the most part the lathe is completed. I have to do some more leveling and other fine tuning, and of course I still need a standard tailstock. I am in the process of cleaning up the production tailstock so I can use the lathe until I find the other.
And I also have to make some tool holders for the QC tool holder. The rusty one still needs to be derusted as well.
From this to this

logan lathe.jpg completed lathe.jpg

Looks good, I still haven't started on mine, I did get a quick change gear box in the mail earlier today for it, started cleaning on it but that's about it. Still working on getting 3 ph into my shop. Not sure how far out on that I am. You do good work!

Dwayne

Looks good, I still haven't started on mine, I did get a quick change gear box in the mail earlier today for it, started cleaning on it but that's about it. Still working on getting 3 ph into my shop. Not sure how far out on that I am. You do good work!

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne. Hope you get to put some time into getting yours cleaned up the way you want it. Mine is running on a 1Hp single phase, which is what was with it, but I have a 3 phase and a VFD to use once I get everything the way I want it. I have to run a junction box to accomplish this though.

Looking really good Shaun. Now that it is looking nice and clean time to start making it dirty. Let the chips fly. Nice job.

Good job on that old Logan. I have a 14 in Logan chucker that is actually pretty handy but I sure would like to find a carriage and tailstock for it someday. I live in Laveen, Az so we are practically neighbors.

Good job on that old Logan. I have a 14 in Logan chucker that is actually pretty handy but I sure would like to find a carriage and tailstock for it someday. I live in Laveen, Az so we are practically neighbors.

We are close. I need a standard tailstock for mine. I only have the turret and it needs a lot of work.

I like that tail stock that's on yours, mine has the production type tailstock with the handle, got everything broken down, been working a lot on it, but I've got some engraving jobs that have been coming in so that's slowing me down. I bought a gal of the Evapo-Rust today for some of the pieces, Randy still hasn't sent me the elbow grease from Wisconsin : ) I've been cleaning on the apron here lately, I took the big hand wheel from the apron & knocked the handle out of it & put a bolt through the hole & chucked it up in a cordless drill and started cleaning it up on one of my 2x72 in belt grinders, had it almost to a mirror shine, started buffing it & the chuck on the drill came loose & it hit the floor and scuffed it pretty good so back to the belt grinder for a minute then I realized it was time for me to be in the shower so I could come to work this evening, anyway I'll get back in the middle of it Monday morning. Looking forward to using the Evapo-Rust, I've got a find some kind of tub to put it in. I'd like to build me a ER40 collet fixture to fit on my spendle for it. I've got a guy that's gonna help me get my 3ph wired up, I've got a 200 amp box for everything else but don't have the 3ph set up yet. I was lucky enough to have it at the back of my shop waiting for me & my shop is considered commercial so I can have it with no issues from the city, kinda grandfather in I guess. but that way I wont have to worry about phase converters. I've got a 40 ton press I'm working on for forging, a larger surfacing machine, 25 little giant hammer and the logan that will all be 3 ph. Looking forward to getting it all done, just not enough hours in a day. These stinking jobs get in the way. :nuts:

I still need a standard tailstock, but I am pretty much done. Minor tweaks as I set it up with a new 6" chuck.

Lathe2.jpg turret.jpg logandone.jpg

Hey Shaun, looks like it cleaned up really well. You should be proud of the finished project. Now it's time to make it the right dirty. Good job!

Thanks Randy, I have used it just enough to see if everything functions correctly, and it does. Now I am waiting on a six inch chuck so I can dial it in. The eight inch was just to big so I sold it to help with the cost of the new chuck.

Back