Picked this Logan up today

Here is an updated picture. In the picture it looks like the ways are rusty on the end, but they are perfectly clean.

logan19221.jpg logan lathe.jpg

Last edited:
WOW Shaun! You'll be cutting chips in no time. Looking very nice. Thanks for the update. Oh, and very inspirational, I can hardly wait to start my Logan re-birth.

I took a piece of PVC and cut a strip out end to end the width of the way. I put a cap on both ends and let it dry overnight. I put one way init and filled it with ER, it took less than a gallon. I left it overnight and then submerged the other side in it. It worked perfectly.

There are times pvc is about as handy as a pocket on a shirt.:drink:

The Logan is looking awesome! You would never know its the same machine.

WOW Shaun! You'll be cutting chips in no time. Looking very nice. Thanks for the update. Oh, and very inspirational, I can hardly wait to start my Logan re-birth.

What is holding you up?

WOW thats looking fantastic, nice work on the paint job. I can't believe you only paid 50 dollars what an awesome find.

WOW thats looking fantastic, nice work on the paint job. I can't believe you only paid 50 dollars what an awesome find.

Thank you. And there was no way I could pass it up, even if I did not need it. It just so happens I wanted a bigger lathe and this was just sitting around rotting. It is amazing how well things were built back then and how they can stand the test of time.

What is holding you up?

Just life Shaun, just life. Oh, and other projects. I like to take on a project when it can fit neatly into the other projects. If you know what I mean? Trust me, I will get there, it is high on the priority list. Thanks for the nudge.

I love threads like this! Great find and looking good. Keep those pics coming!!

It makes me wonder how many fine machines go for scrap. When I drive on the turnpike and look at the huge, tall mound of the dumps, probably 80 years old, it make me wonder whats under there.. besides machinery, probably some nice motorcycles.. nowdays they recycle, but back then, not so..

I came home yesterday and found a flyer from Northern Tool in the mail, with some discount coupons. I discovered this thread later and was really impressed by the Evapo Rust. Went on line and got me a 5 gallon bucket of it coming and used a 10.00 off coupon. It will help on my restro of my SB 10L. Thanks everyone for turning me on to what appears to be a great product. :))

I was struggling trying to find something to submerge rifle barrels in that didn't take GALLONS of ER. That's when I rediscovered the handiness of PVC tubing. Cap off one end, stand it on end and fill with ER then hang the barrel(or whatever) in the tube.

Not really practical for the ways but thought I would post it as an example.

I like this idea.. Thanks for the tip..I plan on doing the same with my rusted collet tube using the appropriate sized pvc . :))

Back