Pitfalls to these Lyon cabinets for sale?

If you pull the drawers you should be able move them with a hand truck. Just mark the drawers so you know where to put them back.

Forklift works when they are full if you can secure the drawers.

John

I have a storeroom in my shop that I use to keep all the clutter out of sight. I have four counter height Vidmar cabinets in there. Three of them were bought for a good price, including freight, on eBay. The price was good because they are ugly. I chose not to refinish them because they are in the storeroom out of sight. I keep my shop clean and tidy.

My pallet jack was too wide to do a proper lift on the Vidmars. I set them on top of the forks, drove them close to final position and then wrestled them off the forks and into their final resting place. There is no way these are moving as long as I own the shop. There is a ton or two in those drawers.

428030A1-B28F-48AA-856C-A153C0D04052.jpeg

I used Schaller bins for organization in the Vidmars. They really make the drawers work.

6271187F-57EB-4E73-B0F5-89495EF76D0A.jpeg

I also make my own Schaller style bins with a 3d printer. They work out well and you can make sizes Schaller doesn’t offer. Additionally, I started making 3" tall bins with straight walls. The Schaller 3" bins have a draft angle that I don't love.

85F765B7-F62C-4772-ABA6-36B09F755B65.jpeg

Nice and tidy:

3BC1E468-5A81-454F-A002-C586232F4ED1.jpeg

that's the perfect use of a 3d printer. Making life better.
nice looking storage area. The shop is too clean and uncluttered.

Yea id love to get myself a 3d printer bc of that reason.

Pretty impressive. Is the flooring composite tile? How do you like, and how tough is it. Thanks, Mike

Casters for a vidmar would probably need to be pretty heavy duty... the weight of a machine plus all the tooling inside. Unfortunately it seems the 60"+ tall cabinets are poor candidates for casters given the height of the cabinet (a good problem to have).

@slodat , how thick do you print your imitation Schaller bins and what material? I wish I had a 3D printer, but when I estimated cost to print similar bins the materials were about the same as buying Schaller bins... but, of course custom sizes and shapes as you showed seem valuable.

Casters for a vidmar would probably need to be pretty heavy duty... the weight of a machine plus all the tooling inside.

Quite frankly, not everyone has a nice big shop with wide open spaces (like Slodat!). Many of us have tiny shops where everything has to be on wheels (like me) in order to make everything fit or work. My Vidmar is over 5' tall, with 5 large drawers and a big top cabinet and my shop does not have enough room for a pallet jack to maneuver easily, even if I had one. My Vidmar is on heavy duty casters that allows me to move it wherever it needs to be and when it is sited where I want it, I raise it off the casters onto blocks. If I need to move it again, it's a simple matter to do so.

My mill and my lathe are on Carrymaster casters that have two to four times the weight capacity of what they are carrying. They are rock solid until they need to move, and then they can move. The Vidmar is on heavy duty 4" casters that can handle the weight. My three other large tool chests are also on wheels.

I'm an old man working alone in a smallish shop and sometimes things have to move so I can work on biggish stuff. I would imagine that most hobby guys do not have huge shops. We live in garages or basements. Wheels help us manage.

@slodat , how thick do you print your imitation Schaller bins and what material? I wish I had a 3D printer, but when I estimated cost to print similar bins the materials were about the same as buying Schaller bins... but, of course custom sizes and shapes as you showed seem valuable.
I'm using 0.07" for wall thickness. I'm happy with how the turn out. The filament cost is about the same as buying from Schaller. The savings come in not having to place "stocking" orders with Schaller and the shipping costs. I like not having to wait a week for the Schaller bins as well.

The photo of that big open space was to give an idea of how I segregate the part of the shop I want to look at and spend time in from the one I have ugly beat up old Vidmar cabinets sitting in.

I'm using 0.07" for wall thickness. I'm happy with how the turn out. The filament cost is about the same as buying from Schaller. The savings come in not having to place "stocking" orders with Schaller and the shipping costs. I like not having to wait a week for the Schaller bins as well.

The photo of that big open space was to give an idea of how I segregate the part of the shop I want to look at and spend time in from the one I have ugly beat up old Vidmar cabinets sitting in.
funny, those vidmars don't look ugly to me... they look pretty nice. Now these were ugly before I re-did them.

Quite frankly, not everyone has a nice big shop with wide open spaces (like Slodat!). Many of us have tiny shops where everything has to be on wheels (like me) in order to make everything fit or work. My Vidmar is over 5' tall, with 5 large drawers and a big top cabinet and my shop does not have enough room for a pallet jack to maneuver easily, even if I had one. My Vidmar is on heavy duty casters that allows me to move it wherever it needs to be and when it is sited where I want it, I raise it off the casters onto blocks. If I need to move it again, it's a simple matter to do so.

My mill and my lathe are on Carrymaster casters that have two to four times the weight capacity of what they are carrying. They are rock solid until they need to move, and then they can move. The Vidmar is on heavy duty 4" casters that can handle the weight. My three other large tool chests are also on wheels.

I'm an old man working alone in a smallish shop and sometimes things have to move so I can work on biggish stuff. I would imagine that most hobby guys do not have huge shops. We live in garages or basements. Wheels help us manage.
What size mill and lathe are you working with?

Back