Pm-1228vf-lb

And if you think about it, lathes are a pretty mature technology so why wouldn't there be a handful of common patterns used for the bulk of production? Only so many ways to make blue jeans, so they all look the same. *Look* being the operative word.

TCB

So a few pics and some general description and people 'assume' they know what there talking about. Even though most of those espousing these opinions have never even touched the machine in question. I have some of those types give me their opinion of my 12Z and how it's "just another RF clone", and of course none have even seen one in person let alone driven one.

As for this new 1228: I am anxiously awaiting one to show up at a member's shop/garage so we can get some more pics and impressions. Sounds like it could be a rather impressive lathe in this size range.

Yeah, and I don't think it is anyone from this forum, everyone here is always great to work with. And like I said, I will answer questions all day long about anything, but for some reason, from just a few people, when I answer, they want to argue. No idea why. I guess thats the good thing about grizzly and other places, when the people there answer the phone, they really have no idea where the machine is made, so they can't answer the question. I have one right now who thought he was clever and ordered a machine direct from what he thought was one factory that we use. It was just a trading company, they are all over the internet. Did not get even the right machine, and cost him more than it would have from us anyway. And now he thinks that I have some connection where I can get this fixed for him, and says that if I don't help him, he is going to sue me. Sue me for what? It makes me laugh sometimes. So sometimes when I am really busy, it is dealing with the dumb things like that. Gets kind of frustrating.

But like I said though, 99% of people are so good to deal with, I am really lucky to have the kinds of customers that I do. When I grew up, both of my grandfathers were in to this kind of thing, the one who I grew up next door to worked in coal mines since he was 14 years old, and then steel mills after that. He was always working on my toy trains and things like that with me, I think I was 5 the first time I soldered something on a model train. Then I would go home, crash it, and come fix it again. And my other grandfather was a baker, but he was really in to woodworking as a hobby, I remember his basement wood shop in the small cramped space, but it was amazing the kinds of things he would build with the limited budget and space he had. And I was always working on tractors and things like that with my dad. So anytime I get a customer like the one in the above paragraph, I think back on growing up, and many of the other customers I have remind me of that. If only I didn't have to deal with the business end of it, I would be set!

But back to that 1228, yes, I am really excited about this model. I am also having a version of the PM-1127VF built in Taiwan, they are on their way too. But that one is not cheap, its close to the $4000 price. Lots going on here, but I am getting text messages asking where I am at, supposed to be at a memorial day picnic today, I better get going.

I am also having a version of the PM-1127VF built in Taiwan, they are on their way too. But that one is not cheap, its close to the $4000 price.
Awesome that you are stepping up to some serious quality offerings. Between this, the PM-1340GT and the 9x35T mill, you are rounding out a nice product line!

I have some of those types give me their opinion of my 12Z and how it's "just another RF clone"....

Bill, you know your 12Z started life as a ZAY7045.... when it was a baby.... and then they fed it really well, and dosed it with steroids.... and then it started pumping iron in middle school and never looked back...

:D

Bill, you know your 12Z started life as a ZAY7045.... when it was a baby.... and then they fed it really well, and dosed it with steroids.... and then it started pumping iron in middle school and never looked back...

:D
Yea, I saw some pics of the 12z in one of your threads and that thing looks huge.

I got an email from Nicole today. PM1228-VF-LBs have arrived in their warehouse today. I finished paying for mine and she says it will be on its way early next week. It might be in my hands by next weekend. Maybe.

The holes are slotted/enlarged so that you can get all three bolts started at the same time, which is good for speed/convenience, but mechanically it is no different than a simple bolt-on chuck; just ever so slightly more expensive to produce. I imagine it is technically, ever so slightly less safe than a simple bolt on, since the chuck could theoretically rotate on the spindle if the bolts worked loose (wildly unlikely I'm sure, but still). My understanding was the 1127 backplate had no taper to its register, so the attaching bolts would need to be loosened and the chuck centered for every attachment (unlike a true taper-registered chuck, which would repeat good enough through the use of witness marks on chuck & backplate alone)

TCB

I got an email from Nicole today. PM1228-VF-LBs have arrived in their warehouse today. I finished paying for mine and she says it will be on its way early next week. It might be in my hands by next weekend. Maybe.
That's awesome. Are you planning on using a hoist to lift the lathe?

Back