PM-1440TL shipping mishap

So smooth! Now for a lot of Egyptian style work!

For the mill, the plan is a few strategic cuts in the palette and then some pry bars to walk it onto machine skates.

For the lathe, it’s actually bolted to some 4x6s that are resting on the palette. Plan there is toe jack it up and get the 4x6s onto blocks and then palette jack down and over to its spot.

Seems much more doable than I initially feared.

Backup plan was (is?) renting a forklift and/or asking my buddy Joe (in the pictures) to bring his down from Lodi again and manipulating things from just outside the mouth of the garage.

Still kind of in shock to be honest. More than half expected additional shipping mishaps.

That was so easy!

When I had my 9X49 'First' mill delivered, it was too heavy for the tailgate, so the dude said if it goes down, it stays down... So we hauled it on a pallet jack up the slope into my garage. two of us, combined ages of 140 years. It was elevated by 2 pallets stacked on top of the other. Exiting times...

Ok!

Walked the mill off the palette by lifting it using the roller pry bar vs the palette on one long side and then a beefy gear wrench extendable indexable pry bar on the other long side to shove it “sideways”. On reaching the edge of the palette walked it onto a pair of machine skates with 2x6s squares on top. Continued to use roller bar to lift it (vs blocks now instead of the palette) until we got it entirely off the palette and onto four machine skates with 2x6 square tops. Then we used the roller pry bar on the mill bottom vs blocks to get the mill off the skates and onto a stack of 2x4 blocks. Then walked the mill down, “tipping” it from the front and back progressively. Removed a pair 2x4 blocks from the front or back on each iteration. The last set of 2x4 blocks was by far the most dangerous as we had to avoid the saddle with the pry bar. The skates were not successful for rolling the mill around. My garage floor is too cracked and uneven and the mill kept wanting to slide off the skates rather than the skates role. The skates were invaluable to help get it slid off the palette, but once on flat ground we just used the gear wrench and roller pry bars to slowly shove it into place. Luckily we didn’t have far to go (maybe 8’).

For the lathe, we shored up the palette with additionally 4x4 blocks under the load bearing parts and sawzalled out the middle of the palette (not load bearing) and removed it. We then were able to roll a palette jack under the middle and put a stack of 4x6 blocks on each fork. We raised the palette jack and removed the remaining side parts of the palette. We replaced them with a stack of 2x4 blocks and lowered the palette jack. Then removed a 4x6 from
the palette forks, raised up the palette jack, removed a 2x4 from the ends, rinse and repeat until the lathe was just on the palette jack. We then used the palette jack to get the lathe oriented 180 degrees and into the right spot, maybe 20’ away. Finally we set it down on 2x4 blocks; the palette jack can’t be removed otherwise.

Next up is cleaning and some VFD wiring for the 3 phase lathe (mill is single phase). Need to shim and level the mill. I can then use the palette jack to raise the lathe and move it into its final spot against the wall and put it on the leveling feet. With the leveling feet on, I’ll be able to have clearance to get the palette jack out.

No chips yet, but hard part done! Yay for friends!

Key equipment for us:

Palette jack ($350 investment from Uline; could have rented but keeping for future moving the lathe inside the shop)

Strongway Steel Pry Bar Lever -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R7CDB9C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

4Pcs Machinery Mover Set Machine... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C5GH7PX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

GEARWRENCH 29-48" Extendable Pry... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SZVJR8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Then general tools, sawzall, circular saw, about $40 of 2x4 and 2x6s.

All done by two of us.

Excited for the next steps!

a018e638c7cc67a523901dd091326ece.jpg

1a405dfe5258ff283d15fa70199ab066.jpg

09a9f972e72011f964470c275034811d.jpg

97f2adf14a513b4cb1a40e1ff32f4937.jpg

2c2d66870889a07868c74be2331b9f70.jpg

fe42a64a9d2c14b3a100cbcf27bc5b91.jpg

Please post how you do the VFD. I have read how others have done VFD, but on different models. It would be very comforting to see how you do your VFD. I got the Yamaha VFD from PM.

I have same model 1640TL which was delivered just a few days ago. Serial number on mine ends in 4050. I am betting yours and mine were made in the same batch.

I have cleaned mine up. Made sure that all hand controls work. (The cross feed is stiff, even with the gib completely removed.) Figured out how to use the taper attachment: How to put it in neutral (as if it weren't installed). Ready to move it about 7 feet into position.

Thanks

That is a fine set of machines. I have the same brand pallet jack from U-line. They work really well for moving heavy machinery.

Back