PM-1440TL shipping mishap

I'd love to see some statistics on how often things get damaged in freight.
I worked for a company almost identical to Saia, (I drove terminal to terminal). I had to check off the items as they were loaded on the trailer that I took back to the starting point. From what I saw, damaged freight was the rare exception (easily less then 1%). Most of what I saw was like a damaged crate, usually poorly designed, and then often no damage to the item inside.

Before that, I drove for DHL (Contract carrier for DHL), from a terminal, to a sorting station, and back. At the sorting station, I had to wait for the trailer to be unloaded, and then reloaded. The emphasis was on speed, not care. I bet there was damaged stuff every load. I saw freight tossed across the docks, forks through stuff, stuff crushed, run over, and so on. But since you are talking hundreds to thousands of packages on a trailer, it was still likely well under 1% damaged, But enough that amung us drivers, we all agreed that we would not want to for the terminal having to deliver the packages.

Make a text document stating the following.

DO
NOT
STACK

And format it so it fills the whole page.

Send it to anyone sending you anything on a pallet.

Ask them to make copies and attach to top and all sides.

This label directs forklift folks to not place anything on top of the shipment.

It usually prevents it...

If something is stacked reject the load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
No body reads the freight, except for the destination label. lift drivers pick it up, either they, or someone scans it, and they run it to the door they are told. If something is put on top, depends on how sturdy it looks, and how light the next item looks (looks are deceiving, they have no ides what it weighs). A lift driver easily handles several hundred to a thousand pallets each shift.

Want to be sure nothing is put on top, make a cardboard cone on top, so it looks like the item is inside sticking up. But be aware, you may be charged for the extra space. The companies profits are based on how much they can fit on each trailer. A lathe with stand, should be shipped in a crate that can easily handle the weight of the stand on top. The stands should be packaged separate, palatalized, and sitting on top of the lathe. That way they can be handled as one item, but still labeled as separate in case they need to be separated. The company I worked for (Pitt Ohio out of Pa), trained the pickup/ delivery drivers, on how they liked to see items crated, and had them work with the routine costumers to avoid issues. When I left (over 10 years ago now), they were talking about having the drivers take pics of each palate when they picked them up, and dropped them off. They were proactively wanting to work with the costumers in identifying and preventing any damage. It was not as much the cost in damage, but the cost in pride and time as driver is detained while the costumer inspects the freight, and the cost of shipping an item back to the shipper.

99% of freight damage can be prevented at the shippers end.

Ugh, sorry to see that.

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery TODAY of my PM-1054TV (single phase) and PM-1640TL (three phase).

I paid a bit extra to get them delivered on a flatbed with forklift service via ABF.

Fingers crossed that they both come through unscathed!! My worry is for sure the last mile.

Ugh, sorry to see that.

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery TODAY of my PM-1054TV (single phase) and PM-1640TL (three phase).

I paid a bit extra to get them delivered on a flatbed with forklift service via ABF.

Fingers crossed that they both come through unscathed!! My worry is for sure the last mile.
Take lots of photos of the delivery and post a few.

Much more to come (videos and pics) but SUCCESS!! Here’s the first few pics of the PM-1640TL and PM-1054TV safely delivered into the garage.

34666cab2837660535d4d28a451a4647.jpg

b7101b86089a91ddb1e08a9345731099.jpg

143ac9a620e2eef64bfaec8857114089.jpg

3be64a339043c95aeae7e8dc27d1e42d.jpg

Looks awesome! And you will love that 1640TL. Fun days ahead! Personally I found that kerosene, a hard plastic scraper like for window tint and a very stiff bristle brush were the best for removing all the Cosmoline or heavy packing grease. And of course a lot of paper towels. Brush it on, let it sit a bit, go back and scrape then brush a little a wipe. Takes a while but after waiting so long for the machines it is kind of therapeutic to just hang out with them for 10-12 hours and get them cleaned up and set up. Enjoy!!

Yes!! Keep that super practical advice coming! You were definitely my inspiration on these purchases Bud! Your posts and videos have been amazingly helpful. Grateful.

Last edited:
Will do and happy to help. I assume your enclosure is all built and ready to go. Let me know if you get stuck wiring it up.

Great video, looks like a very smooth delivery. Congrats!!

Back