PM-1440TL shipping mishap

@jeremysf, is the machine at the Suez Canal? Or will you have to wait a week before you know?

@Tipton1965, sorry about your lathe. Can't believe the shippers just didn't own up to the mishap. Would have saved everyone a lot of time.

@Tipton1965, sorry about your lathe. Can't believe the shippers just didn't own up to the mishap. Would have saved everyone a lot of time.
Eisen already shipped me out another lathe.....they have been nothing but excellent to deal with. They sent me photos of how they package their machines so now I know more about how unethical Roadrunner freight is. So there is the main crate with the lathe body, and then they steel band the two boxes containing the stand cabinets to the top of the lathe body crate. They also wrap the stand joining plate and steel band that to the top of the lathe body crate. So when Roadrunner showed up with only the two boxes containing the stand cabinets they were banded to their own little pallet and the joining plate was missing. So I think something really heavy landed on top of the whole package and smashed the joining plate and the lathe. So they banded the cabinet boxes to their own pallet and delivered that first since they weren't damaged. Then they delivered the lathe body crate the next day (again no joining plate anywhere to be found) in hopes I'd sign without checking the contents.

As it turned out I didn't check the stand cabinets until after the driver left that first day. The boxes looked fine so I figured they were okay. But, they did take some tumbling because the doors came off their hinges inside the boxes and scratched everything up. It was just cosmetic damage so no biggie. I prepped the two steel cabinets and re-painted them with my airless sprayer and clear coated them. They look excellent now. Eisen wanted to send me new ones but I told them they were fine.

My thought exactly. I feel for the poor guy who had to show up with that mess just to have you refuse it. They should have filed the claim and sent you pictures (and an apology), not gone through the motions of what any supervisor would have realized was just a waste of time and manpower.

JOhn
No one will get fired
Scruffy

Wow! sorry to hear about that mishap, hope it allworks out fine for you eventually.
I am stressing out now, knowing in about a month my new PM-935TS will be making the long journey to Trinidad

I am expecting my PM1440TL in September. I though my only problem was that China might take Taiwan before it ships. Now I hear about mishaps in shipping and I am getting really worried. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I could recoup $536 for the forklift rental if I return a damaged lathe?

I am expecting my PM1440TL in September. I though my only problem was that China might take Taiwan before it ships. Now I hear about mishaps in shipping and I am getting really worried. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I could recoup $536 for the forklift rental if I return a damaged lathe?
When you start doing industrial things you are no longer in that consumer bubble. Can't imagine you'd be able to recoup a rental fee. Pickup at the terminal and do an inspection. Barring that, if you rent on a Thursday/Friday cycle you can usually return on a Monday. That should give you time to return it to a terminal.

Thanks for that information.
I'd love to see some statistics on how often things get damaged in freight. I have had really good luck with anything smaller delivered through Fed X or UPS. But I'm batting 50% when you bump up to a semi delivering bigger/heavier items. My first freight item was a go-cart I bought for me and my son. It got lost in transit and took a long time for them to find it and deliver it. But, it did make it undamaged. I also bought a 1000 pound gun safe that made it fine. But then I had a pair of large audio speakers delivered that were damaged as well as my 1340 lathe. But my 2nd 1340 lathe made it in perfect shape. The joining plate for the two stand cabinets was strapped right on top of the crate where I would think for sure it would have gotten damaged.......not a scratch on it. It's just weird and a roll of the dice I guess.

I have had really great luck with PM. 2 knee mills and a 1440 lathe.

Make a text document stating the following.

DO
NOT
STACK

And format it so it fills the whole page.

Send it to anyone sending you anything on a pallet.

Ask them to make copies and attach to top and all sides.

This label directs forklift folks to not place anything on top of the shipment.

It usually prevents it...

If something is stacked reject the load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back