PM-1440TL shipping mishap

I could point to several severely damaged shipments of expensive ($10-30K) woodworking equipment where the insurance company position was "$0.10 per pound is the coverage" and the trucking company position was "it wasn't packaged properly" which was total BS. That left the consumer in a position where they faced giving up or going to court. I agree with @Larry$ comment that "Trucking company "insurance" is very nearly worthless." @vtcnc suggestion that someone will get fired, and insurance will cover it is distinctly NOT my experience. This is what motivated me to ask who is going to eat the cost of this refused delivery - sure hope it doesn't fall back on Precision Matthews. When I ship equipment, I now have my own household insurance company issue a rider for the shipment value.

I could point to several severely damaged shipments of expensive ($10-30K) woodworking equipment where the insurance company position was "$0.10 per pound is the coverage" and the trucking company position was "it wasn't packaged properly" which was total BS. That left the consumer in a position where they faced giving up or going to court. I agree with @Larry$ comment that "Trucking company "insurance" is very nearly worthless." @vtcnc suggestion that someone will get fired, and insurance will cover it is distinctly NOT my experience. This is what motivated me to ask who is going to eat the cost of this refused delivery - sure hope it doesn't fall back on Precision Matthews. When I ship equipment, I now have my own household insurance company issue a rider for the shipment value.
Do you care to share the cost of the rider? That's a good idea. However, you still have to accept delivery.

Would be interesting to here from a machinery dealer what happens in this particular situation.

Based on the above, my guess is that the driver left the terminal not knowing its condition, then saw it at some point along his route. He could have called you and said that it's damaged, but figured that you'd probably say "bring it by and we'll see how bad it is." So in his mind, he may have figured that it was worth a shot to show up and not say anything, and there'd be some chance that you'd accept it. That's my theory.
I guess his job is to deliver the thing, who knows.... Maybe you ordered a broken one:rolleyes:

It's the terminal supervisor and upper management I fault here. They're just hoping you'll accept delivery and then it won't be their problem.

BTW, being the proud owner of a lathe that was dropped once I can assure you that you did the right thing...

John

This is the problem with LTL truck company‘s they stop at every little terminal and the thing gets loaded and unloaded 20 times before it get to it’s destination. They are worse than Greyhound Bus. This is a shame it happened to a very nice machine. I feel for you!
CH

How could the shipper even try to deliver that!
Shipping company has no idea whether the receiver is going to accept, and deal with the broken parts, or refuse the shipment. Many costumers would be more upset if the trucking company sent it back, when they are expecting a delivery.
That is why shipping companies have insurance. This is completely on them and they will have to file a claim. If this was an LTL shipment, they will track the cross dock scans and somebody is getting fired.

This happens all the time. It’s sad but true. The only recourse you have that won’t add more grief is to do exactly what you did- refuse the shipment. Their problem not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The company I worked for, would not have accepted a machine like that in a flimsy crate like that. should be a full sided with 2x4 braces.

I know of shipments in the same states, that were cross docked 5 or 6 times in one night.

Nothing else I can say that hasn't already been said....but that really does suck!

Do you care to share the cost of the rider? That's a good idea. However, you still have to accept delivery.
The cost, or even willingness to issue a rider varies from insurer to insurer. The more sophisticated providers do this often, and the commodity providers might actually come back with “what’s a rider?” if asked to quote. But to your specific question, my provider (Chubb) charges me 2-3 percent of the insured value depending on amount, with a small deductible like $250. Chubb (no affiliation) is a premium-priced provider with policies that are quite comprehensive and underwriters that are quite sophisticated.

Back