PM-1660TL

What about brazed tools?
What's the slot height for the parting tool holder?

Regarding brazed carbide tooling, I learned not to buy cheap ones on eBay.

The height is 3/4”, and it looks like it calls for a carbide insert parting tool:

A49E094A-CD3C-4142-A0FA-DE1F147CFE9C.png
50CCAEE3-0CA2-4CFD-AE54-B1027C50A4C9.png
1B2DCA0D-35BC-4A9F-BE4A-09A8543D1BA4.png

Last edited:
I've bought a couple 5/8" and maybe one 3/4" Micro 100 brazed tools off of Amazon for dollars. I saw some brazed parting blades really cheap but they were 11/16" high.

So you are spending 20k on a lathe and electric stuff and can't buy tooling?

Joe

I’m up against the ropes after what I have spent so far on this project. PM will call me in August with a large balance due. My wife says that she will do all she can to help me, but I can see that it is time to stop buying stuff now.

EDIT: I got lucky & a lot of things fell into place. I ended up being able to afford everything, and the only penalty is that I am now strapped for 4 years.

Last edited:
After the balloon payment you can get better organized, save for that first.

I caught a lucky financial break today. We have had a bare lot (real estate) for sale for a few months, and a strong buyer came along. Both parties have signed and I know the title is clear; fingers crossed.

This will enable me to buy a live center, bullnose live center, MT4 tool holder, knurling tool holder as well as hire an electrician to add a female 220V receptacle to my welding outlet for (the single phase side of) the rotary phase converter.

I already picked up two extra #1 tool holders because I like to have one each for turning, facing & chamfering. I also picked up an MT4 1/32”-1/2” keyless chuck even though I have yet to warm up to keyless chucks.

I had been planning to rent a forklift to move the lathe from the freight truck to the front of my garage, but I might want to hire a professional to do that. I am only licensed for our forklift at work, and our driveway has a slight grade. I sure would hate to drop the lathe!

For tool bits, I already had a few import BXA insert kits on my PM order. PM has already rewritten my invoice 2 or 3 times, so I will just leave those economy insert tool kits on the order.

The bad news is that I have to work Saturdays now for a long time because we have an astonishing amount of consumer debt, all of which is due to my fanaticism for acquiring tools. But, hey, Sundays are gonna be fun!

Last edited:
Hoss, maybe you ought to slow down, you might be buying some of these things twice if you don't ask first. Just looking out for you with best intentions....

If you get magnetic slides it takes up no space. In fact I can still lock my cross slide.
I know where you can get a new Rohm live center for a hundred bucks, 80% off of retail but has a standard point. Also a slim Rohm for ~45% off of retail.

Hoss, maybe you ought to slow down, you might be buying some of these things twice if you don't ask first. Just looking out for you with best intentions....

Yep, time to pump the brakes on the spending.

Is it the case that the live center is not the best choice? Too long of a nose?

Last edited:
I got into the AMP RPC, and this is the plug:
image.jpg

Back