PM-1660TL

Its been raining almost every day recently. Not a good time to unpack a large crate in the open. Keeping my fingers crossed that next week will be dry.

Using the right-handed Cartesian coordinates, the crate dimensions from a corner is x=90, y=42, z=74 inches. The garage door is opening is x=188 and z=81 inches. But z is much less than 81 because of the closing mechanism.

I'll post the 'containing rectangle' dimensions after the top and side wooden crating are removed, so that the next person receiving a 1640TL will have a easier time planning for its delivery.

Yeah, you guys are having a good monsoon, here in California we haven't seen rain in months with many more to go before the normal rainy season.
I sure wish you would send some up our way.

I ordered CXA QCTP tool post with tool holders from PrecisionMattews. I ordered three cxa tool holders from three different sources, one from each source, to compare the quality. Each tool holder was less than $30.00, delivered. I consider this a $90 dollar test.

The first cxa 250-302 has no brand-name and is from Amazon.

All measurements are in inches, using a cheap, electronic caliper, and two pins 0.249 +/- 0.001, so the dovetail width can not be better than +/- 0.001

The block measures x=4.289; y=1.393; z=2.132;
tool opening = 0.769;

maximum height adjustment =1.09
height adjustment screw extremity above top of block = 1.383

The dovetail depth = 0.559
Dovetail width = 2.218

Next week, I'll be able to tell how well this tool holder fits into the QCTP.

I ordered CXA QCTP tool post with tool holders from PrecisionMattews. I ordered three cxa tool holders from three different sources, one from each source, to compare the quality. Each tool holder was less than $30.00, delivered. I consider this a $90 dollar test.

The first cxa 250-302 has no brand-name and is from Amazon.

All measurements are in inches, using a cheap, electronic caliper, and two pins 0.249 +/- 0.001, so the dovetail width can not be better than +/- 0.001

The block measures x=4.289; y=1.393; z=2.132;
tool opening = 0.769;

maximum height adjustment =1.09
height adjustment screw extremity above top of block = 1.383

The dovetail depth = 0.559
Dovetail width = 2.218

Next week, I'll be able to tell how well this tool holder fits into the QCTP.
I'd recommend our fellow forum member's book Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide. David Best does a great job de-mystifying indexable tooling so you can buy quality without breaking the bank and limiting your failed experiments. You can find it here.

I'd recommend our fellow forum member's book Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide. David Best does a great job de-mystifying indexable tooling so you can buy quality without breaking the bank and limiting your failed experiments. You can find it here.
I'll second that!! It is well worth the price.

Since this was a recent discussion, why does one need a drive dog with turning between centers when you can chuck up one end in a 4J chuck and use a center at the other end?

The PM TL series is very nice, have used them before and a great lathe, was just a bit too heavy for me to get into my place and also to deal with going from a D1-4 to a D1-6 spindle. Still nice to have the extra spindle bore.

Since this was a recent discussion, why does one need a drive dog with turning between centers when you can chuck up one end in a 4J chuck and use a center at the other end?
When you have something like a rifle barrel, where the bore is not concentric to the OD.

Thank you.

When you have something like a rifle barrel, where the bore is not concentric to the OD.
The purpose of a 4J independent is so you can dial out the offset, otherwise I have seen people use a spider on both ends to get barrel concentricity. I understand the purpose of a lathe dog, that the centers define the center point but is seems a bit archaic, I cannot recall a circumstance that I would use it over a 4J.

Spider is great on both ends but what about a 16" barrel and your headstock is 19" wide. Hard to dial in the bore center if it's held in a 4 jaw on same end. If you have ever seen a Thompson Encore or Contender, they have a lug on breech end, you can hold it in a 3 jaw but again bore is not necessarily concentric. But using a center and a dog, you can. Archaic or not, it's sometimes necessary.

More than 1 way to skin a cat and the cat rarely likes any of them.
Mike Bellm Precision recrown

Back