PM-1660TL

The purpose of a 4J independent is so you can dial out the offset, otherwise I have seen people use a spider on both ends to get barrel concentricity. I understand the purpose of a lathe dog, that the centers define the center point but is seems a bit archaic, I cannot recall a circumstance that I would use it over a 4J.
Multi-start thread, or timing the thread?

I ordered the PM-1640TL on July 14, 2021. Since then, they installed the DRO and the taper attachment.

They will ship it tomorrow. Final leg of the shipment will be via a company that uses a flatbed and a forklift.

The size of the crate is 74 inches tall; 42 inches wide; and 90 inches long.

You are going to love that lathe! I have used mine so much, and I don’t remember having a single problem.

The purpose of a 4J independent is so you can dial out the offset, otherwise I have seen people use a spider on both ends to get barrel concentricity. I understand the purpose of a lathe dog, that the centers define the center point but is seems a bit archaic, I cannot recall a circumstance that I would use it over a 4J.

I love turning between centers for the historical interest.

I will say the same thing about gas welding.

It’s the next best thing to having access to a time machine!

You are going to love that lathe! I have used mine so much, and I don’t remember having a single problem.
Do you know where I can find the relative locations of the 6 feet ( the height adjustment bolts) ? I am trying to locate the machine so that all the feet are on one concrete pad.

I am in the middle of reading this thread, but there are now 57 pages.

If that information is not published, could I ask you to make a quick measurement?

Thank you.

I'd recommend our fellow forum member's book Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide. David Best does a great job de-mystifying indexable tooling so you can buy quality without breaking the bank and limiting your failed experiments. You can find it here.
I ordered the book.

I love turning between centers for the historical interest.

I will say the same thing about gas welding.

It’s the next best thing to having access to a time machine!

Sometime "obsolete" is still the best option when it is available.

I also enjoy doing things as it used to be done, simply because it helps me to understand why things changed, and sometimes I find that there is in fact a reason that some machines / techniques stick around long after they have been replaced in general use. Sometimes the old ways are just old, sometimes they still remain a very useful way to do things but only on a very limited basis. This helps to explain why many well equipped shops still have power hacksaws, shapers, die filers and oxy acetylene sets parked in dark corners.

@erikmannie I'm late to the discussion (I think I've read it druing it's early posts) my apologies if I've repeated another post.

I use a machined centre in my 3 jaw instead of a centre in the headstock taper. I just chuck up a piece of steel in the chuck and turn it to 60 degrees. every time I need it again I just re-cut the 60 degree by a few thou. It must always be perfectly concentric with the rotation, unless your headstock is very loose.

This process takes about a minute each time - less time than it takes to remove the 3 jaw chick...
Refreshing !

My lathe, mill, and band saw from Precision Matthew are on a road trip. They have been in Dayton and Willow Springs (near Chicago) in the past few days. Looks like the average progress is about 200 miles a day.

They can take their time, as long as the crates are not dropped.

The delivery point is the parking pad in front of the garage: unloaded by a fork lift. I hope it doesn't rain on the delivery day.

@erikmannie Thank you for the pictures of your machine when you took delivery. The details of how it was crated has helped me plan on how to uncrate and move the machine into position, inside of the garage.​

I intend to take some still pictures and measurements while unpacking. Maybe that will help others who are waiting for their machines.

I ordered the book.
This is an excellent book. I recommend it to all who are interested in carbide index tools and inserts.

It discuses both inch and metric naming convention.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

My lathe, mill, and band saw from Precision Matthew are on a road trip. They have been in Dayton and Willow Springs (near Chicago) in the past few days. Looks like the average progress is about 200 miles a day.

They can take their time, as long as the crates are not dropped.

The delivery point is the parking pad in front of the garage: unloaded by a fork lift. I hope it doesn't rain on the delivery day.

@erikmannie Thank you for the pictures of your machine when you took delivery. The details of how it was crated has helped me plan on how to uncrate and move the machine into position, inside of the garage.​

I intend to take some still pictures and measurements while unpacking. Maybe that will help others who are waiting for their machines.
The shipment made it to Albuquerque, NM, about 100 miles from my home. The last leg of the transit will be on a flat bed (with a fork lift). It is scheduled for delivery Monday, August 16, afternoon. Delivery point will be the parking pad in front of the garage.

Weather forecast for Monday afternoon: possible rain.

Back