PM-1660TL

The lathe, mill, and the saw were delivered at 6:00 pm on the 17th. It's just as well that they were a day later than they said, because on Monday afternoon, it rained a lot. It was getting dark so I hardly got started before it was too dark to continue. But I could see that the machine was inside a giant plastic bag. It would be ok even if it rained during the night.

Wednesday was a long day. I uncrated the 1640. It turns out that the crate was originally nailed together: but I think at PM they remove the nails at the foot of the vertical wood slats to get access to the machine, then they screw the cage back together. I removed the screws; I also removed the front panel (just had to take a look at it.) The three remaining sides and the top were then removed as a unit with two home built gantries.

Removal of four bolts (each near a leveling bolt) enabled the gantries to lift the machine a few inches, enough to slide the bottom of the crate away. The gantries are on wheels, but the weight was such that the twelve 5-inch wheels would not turn. Nor would polyurethane wheeled machine skates would not roll with the weight of the machine. Finally, success came with a 2.5-ton pallet jack. One of its wheels is about 10 inches. The gantries were left in place and came along. This was in case of a tip over, the gantries would stop a complete rollover. Safety first.

But because the parking pad and the garage floor are at about 5/8 inch slope per 10 feet, it was hard to push it into the garage. I had to use a 1x6 sacrificial board (so the painted garage floor would not be marked) and a 2x4 as a lever, wedge push stick. I could move it a few inches at a time, but the roll back (from the slope in the garage floor) would take back each gain, until I wedged the wheel as the lathe was pushed into the garage.

It was in the garage by 8:00 pm, just as it started to sprinkle.

Today I opened the second crate and started to take inventory of the small items which were shipped with the lathe.

Tomorrow, the lathe will find its long-term location; and I will put together the 728 VT mill and its base. It requires lifting the mill about 30+ inches. Gantry?

It requires lifting the mill about 30+ inches. Gantry?
Use an engine hoist.
20210317_133233.jpg

I wanted to make some quick measurements of the lathe, but ended up doing a first cleaning. WD-40 removes the protective coating quite well.

I noticed that on the cross slide, near the center, at the center of four bolts, there is a threaded hole, but no screw. Is there a missing screw?

If anyone installed the taper unit, maybe you can tell me if there is a missing screw, or if I should somehow plug the threaded hole. Thanks.

What is the issue with the faceplate using the factory supplied reducing sleeve for the MT4 center?

I generally don't use a face plate for driving a lathe dog, only for holding awkward parts that cant be held in a 3 or 4 jaw. Face plates have rpm limitations which don't always work with what's being turned.

On the occasion I need to turn a long taper I use a setup similar to this. The photo below is on my old Smithy 1324 Granite which was my first home machine. I do something similar on my PM1440GT.

View attachment 346876
Thank you for the picture of how to use the supplied MT-4 reducing sleeve. I couldn't quite picture how to use the supplied part until your picture.

I wanted to make some quick measurements of the lathe, but ended up doing a first cleaning. WD-40 removes the protective coating quite well.

I noticed that on the cross slide, near the center, at the center of four bolts, there is a threaded hole, but no screw. Is there a missing screw?

If anyone installed the taper unit, maybe you can tell me if there is a missing screw, or if I should somehow plug the threaded hole. Thanks.
There is a set screw in there: item 102, 6x30, pages 61 and 63 of the manual, that I downloaded recently.

Hence, it is not a missing thing. I think I'll put a tape over the opening to keep out the gunk.

It was my first dumb technical assistance call to Precision Matthew. They are probably having a good laugh: TGIF !

Glad you got it sorted. Just checked mine and was sending you this picture to confirm there is one in there. 3mm. Just deep. I have it uncovered and it was full of chips and seems fine uncovered. Tape will likely get oily and messy.

Also, I find that Kerosene works better than WD-40 when cleaning a whole machine. Stiff brush to apply, let it sit a bit and hard plastic scraper like for window tinting to scrape off the flats. Repeated brushing for things like the lead screw. I use a cup and sort of reclaim the kerosene until it is to full of gunk then get a fresh bit in the cup. Cleans well and won’t hurt the paint. Good luck.

Attachments

• 533C76AE-10F6-4E9A-ADC2-DF4084BD5B51.jpeg
    533C76AE-10F6-4E9A-ADC2-DF4084BD5B51.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 84
  • C265A263-13F1-4E92-9E2D-693EDF773A25.jpeg
    C265A263-13F1-4E92-9E2D-693EDF773A25.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted. Just checked mine and was sending you this picture to confirm there is one in there. 3mm. Just deep. I have it uncovered and it was full of chips and seems fine uncovered. Tape will likely get oily and messy.

Also, I find that Kerosene works better than WD-40 when cleaning a whole machine. Stiff brush to apply, let it sit a bit and hard plastic scraper like for window tinting to scrape off the flats. Repeated brushing for things like the lead screw. I use a cup and sort of reclaim the kerosene until it is to full of gunk then get a fresh bit in the cup. Cleans well and won’t hurt the paint. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Back