Poor man’s Accufinish carbide lapping machine

I do not think the speed is changeable on these motors by switching the wiring. I think the 2 smaller gauge blue wires go to the capacitor and the white, larger blue and the yellow wires go to the start and run windings in the motor.

Here's what's interesting, what you are proposing is basically flipping the connectors 180 degrees.
Right?
It fits that direction too.

The 3 larger wires go to the side or windings, the other smaller wires go to the end cap on the motor.

Ok ive been doing some research and those symbols seem to be the words for each color.....with that said its apparent colors mean nothing so Just disregard my previous post as I was clearly wrong. My apologies.

This is what i was able to translate...color of text box correlates to drawn circles around Chinese characters. The remaining are the wire colors.20200119_120434.jpg

Interesting.
How the heck did you do that?

Interesting.
How the heck did you do that?
Google translate has a camera capture ability and its pretty good at actually seeing the correct things. You can draw them too and it will give you a list of the closest matching to pick from, easy peasy :)

And im gonna ask you a very Stupid question cause i would bet you did it correctly....when you wired in the controller you did pull two 110v leads into the connection correct? Figure half the voltage half the speed so I had to ask!

Last edited:
Google translate has a camera capture ability and its pretty good at actually seeing the correct things. You can draw them too and it will give you a list of the closest matching to pick from, easy peasy :)

And im gonna ask you a very Stupid question cause i would bet you did it correctly....when you wired in the controller you did pull two 110v leads into the connection correct? Figure have the voltage half the speed so I had to ask!
Yes = 2 x 110v leads and a ground.

I've been following this and the other thread about building one of these slow speed grinder/lapper. Like you, I thought these seemed to be a relatively cheap easy way to go (generally around $100) for someone like me without a ton of electrical background. Assuming your 15w motor mates to the std 3GNxx gearbox and is wired correctly, you would have bought a 3GN3K or 3GN5K gearbox to be at either 450-500 or 270-300 (respectively). If your gear box is not one of those two, can you just buy a ebay different ratio gearbox and swap them out? I see 3K / 5K ratio units for $28.

I was considering doing th same thing: buying a cheap other ratio combo, then swapping the gearbox to get the speed I wanted.

Back