Positioning Pm932 And Pm1236

Here is the floor area
Workshop Floor 003.jpg

In my previous shop in Alaska, I had my mill & lathe 90 degrees out. I hated it!! There was a lot of unusable space in the corner. I tried storing stock there; but, could seldom access it without cranking the mill table all the way to the left. I realize that some may have a different setup, so I am not saying it won't work. I am saying that I did not like my arrangement. My space prevented moving either machine, so I had to "make do".

Jerry in Delaware

PS: Still awaiting my PM 12x36. My PM 932PDF is home and happy.

My PM932-PDF is home but not happy. It talks to me at night... asks me to get him the hell out of the garage.

I tried looking at the floor plan again and I still prefer having them side by side on that back wall. Don't care to put them in the middle of the room or at an angle in the corner. The only advantage with a corner is it uses less space which isn't an issue here as there will be enough space for me to walk around and between both machines. I thought of other placements but the two doorways on the left are in the way and the wall on the right is shorter. All that's left is to put one machine on the wall next to the entrance at the bottom but that will put chips, etc. at the entrance which can be a hazard.

Working on the wiring. The largest wire I've installed before were 12/3 lines for the amp and subwoofer upstairs. But this 10/3 is much harder to maneuver.

Cobra,
Looking at that floor plan. inline looks like a good way to go and seeing it I see you have plenty space. And space like at the headstock end does not have to go unused. It would work out good for a short material rack on the wall, or anything mounted on wheels then if you need to put a long part in the lathe you could just roll whatever out. Lots of things you can do with all that space. The beautiful thing about it is you can always move it if you change your mind. Mine has change several times as machine were added and I thing I am about to do some major changes soon.

Mark.

I'll measure that space and post. I was going to do that tonight but the alternator upgrade on the F350 took more time. I'm usually more organized but I have a lot of things going at once right now.getting that 351c back in the Mustang is the next thing. There's 28 more feet on the other side of the west wall. :)

10-3 should be enough to run both machines at the same time.

So if the room was twice that size wouldn't you want to spread everything out more?
Not really. Generally called a "manufacturing cell". Park the tools in close proximity to maximize productivity. I have a 1000 sq ft garage (and no cars in it, of course), but my lathe and mill are about 5 ft apart facing each other, with a workbench down the side between the two.

Space across the table left to right is 75",Y handle is 48" out from corner.

Routing the new wiring is becoming a real pain... very tight quarters to feed the wire for the second outlet. Had to let it go yesterday afternoon... will pick it up again in the morning.

Back