POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I have this old Steelcase stool that I use in the garage. Since I got it, the vinyl on the seat pad was torn... I have been meaning to recover it for a few years now... Initially I was just going to use black vinyl again, but I had some leftover thick leather from another project and decided to use it to do this...

View attachment 394260
View attachment 394261
View attachment 394262

Done!!

View attachment 394264

I could have cover the back plate as well, but the vinyl there was in perfect condition... figured I would leave that alone for now. I have more leather to cover later if needed...

View attachment 394266
It came out looking very professional. Nice job.

Had an excess of cutting oil(bacon fat). Made some soap.
Dogs should love licking me now!

Attachments

• 20220130_095819.jpg
    20220130_095819.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220130_094533.jpg
    20220130_094533.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi! My name is Erik and I am new to the site.

I made a couple of gib locks for my Rockwell 21-100 mill. The locks were not included with the mill.
Welcome to the group Erik! Your gib locks look great.

Today was a long day in the garage. All the finishing touches all the final assembly took a lot more effort. I had to clean the intake manifold twice because it was full of dirt also the throttle body was gunked up the drivers axle require me to drain the gearbox oil and take apart the lower ball joint to have enough space to remove the axle. But i did manage to get it all together even dealt with the broken bolt and moved over couple of the missing studs from the exhaust flange. I need to clean up my tools are all over the place and then drag the car over its engine.
IMG_20220130_160831.jpgIMG_20220130_160849.jpg

I replaced the platen on my little Sorby belt grinder with one holding a piece of pyroceram.
043b27b5635059b875bb57ce947d7285.jpg

The work rest mounts pretty high on this machine, but the new platen gives me a little extra working area, and hopefully better facilitates using the right-side edge of the belt. The main plate limits access to the left side.

ea64dac09b5a42909b73a5ad6255e597.jpg

It’s kind of a strange machine and I don’t like some things about its design. You can see the cylindrical reliefs I put in the platen for the bolt heads that secure it to the main plate on the left side. The bolts are quite close to the working surface so my thicker platen didn’t leave much room. Even with the reliefs it can barely (almost?) sit far enough back to align with the belt. I’m looking forward to using it a bit, and would like to make a mount for the typical drill-sharpening jig.

Started to make the table for the WEN 3975T 5-Inch Metal-Cutting Benchtop Bandsaw....

First was cutting the bottom support for the table.... I had some material left from the project I made for my friend, so the material is overkill for this (2"x2" tubing used for making a hitch, but it was free)... one 45 degrees cut using the bandsaw... I need to grind it to have better surface for the weld... but that came out nice!

IMG_4297.jpeg

I then needed to modify the bandsaw stop. So it would allow it to tilt to 90 degrees...

Before:

IMG_4301.jpeg

Modification for that was easy... just moving the stop further out... measure several times... First center punch was not correct... so glad I measured again to double check...

IMG_4300.jpeg

Eyes played a trick on me... I thought it was 5mm but nope... had to change it to 6mm. Drill and tap a 6mm thread... I know, I know... measure it!

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

After:

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

That is as far as I can take it today... I thought I had a 1/4"x12"x12" steel plate for the table... I do not... so I will need to buy that to be able to finish this project...

Last edited:
I did have some time to weld the two pieces... I have to say... a grinder still does not make me a better welder... :rolleyes: :D:D

IMG_4311.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

Everything remained leveled... so no issues with the welding distorting the part.

The wood panel is larger than the steel plate I will use. I used it to validate the size of the steel plate I need to get and to validate that everything remained leveled in both directions.

I will go with 12"x14" plate and add a reinforcement/support from the bracket to the plate.

Joe knows his stuff! That's an awesome tip.

Back