POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I hope you are not using brakekleen to clean the parts before welding.

If I remember correctly, when heated in welding it releases phosgene gas, which can kill you.
If it's just sitting there, it still might be a good idea to move it further away..

This PSA brought to you by someone who cares whether you live or die, so don't shoot the messenger please.

Just for the curiosity sake of it. Does it dissipate if you let it set for a while or not?

Just for the curiosity sake of it. Does it dissipate if you let it set for a while or not?

It does, but if there are any cracks or tiny crevices in the material it may take a while to thoroughly dissipate.

IIRC, it only takes tiny amounts of phosgene to be lethal... something like 4 parts per million can be fatal...

I keep it away from my welding bench... and away from anything that I might need to weld on. I use acetone to clean parts for welding.

-Bear

no, I've heard about people that have been hurt or killed a long time (days , months) after spraying. Not sure why it doesn't, since it appears to disappear quickly.

Better to use acetone, or carb cleaner if you are going to weld. I use acetone, or alcohol.

OK, Good info. I have never used it on anything I have welded. I don't use it much at all really, I used it years ago to clean some bolt holes on a crankshaft under a truck. I had an N95 mask on, but I also have a full beard. I felt the effects of it for days. I very seldom use it anymore and if I do I make sure I'm out in the open. That stuff is bad stuff!

Tim

I hope in the years I have left. I can achieve skills like so many on this forum possess. I drilled out all the Bijur metering valves (10 of them on bridgeport 2j. Reinstalled, pumped way oil to everything, moved everything back and forth. Reattaching the lines on that manifold are a major PITA. Moved on to 6F a b or c not sure which. It is fairly operational.

Back