POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

trying to figure out what I've done wrong with teh rear upper engine mount.

Before:

293bb310.jpg

If you zoom in, you can see the bolt pulls two buskings into the boss on the engine. The bushings are tight to the frame and tight to the engine boss.

All I've done is pain tht eframe and engine and upon reassembly, discovered this:

fr_3954.jpg

Somehow, it appears the frame has "spread". Or a more likely scenario is I'm either missing a part (nothing on a parts breakdown or in the service manual) or I'm assembling it wrong.

I gotta figure it's something I'm doing wrong. There's no way the bolt would pull the frame rails together (it's heavily braced right in that area) and looking at other pics off the net shows the bushings tight to the frame and engine boss:

CAM02547.jpg

fj-rebuild-003.jpg
50817761548_001ba41773_h.jpg

:dunno:

I'll figure it out, just a bit stumped right now.

Worse comes to worse I'll either make a couple spacers or just machine out some new bushings. But I'm reluctant to do so without first figuring out why it's changed from a simple remove/install....

Last edited:
Lift arms for a Cat "O" setup on my 2086 Cub.
Reproducing the factory setup from an 1872 Super.
Have to get some 1/4" plate yet as well as the1-1/2' rockshaft these mount to.
Got to use the RT today, 1st time in a while.

Attachments

• DSCN9807.JPG
    DSCN9807.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN9808.JPG
    DSCN9808.JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN9811.JPG
    DSCN9811.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 18
Are those rims used with those low section "steamroller" type tires ?
If so, that's why they suffer so much damage -

A lot of times you're limited on the minimum wheel size by the factory brakes. If the rotors/calipers are big, you can't put smaller rims on them. Seems worse on small cars.

Luckily my old winter beater subaru would take a smaller rim than what the car shipped with. I was able to find a winter tire with the same diameter that fit the smaller rim. It looks kinda goofy, but handles the winter washboard WAY better. The taller sidewall changes the handling, but it's winter driving so it's slower driving anyway. (That, and I must be getting older, I don't drive so fast anymore anyway... ;) )

We have an automatic espresso machine for my in-laws. We have had one just for them for many years now. Started with them making a mess with spilled milk and coffee as they got older and could not pay attention to the stove…. We are on our 3rd machine…

I save the old machines and use them for spare parts…. It so happens that my cousin had one also failed on him and he gave it to me to add to the stash of parts.

I did try to save/repair both, but his…well… even if I had an optimistic attitude, this is what happened

FC424688-AB62-412F-9A33-0FE34506FC8A.jpeg

So I was only able to repair one, which was fine... Since I did not have one here in Ocala for my father-in-law, I only needed to make a functional one from what I had….

4CA95288-7FB5-4C09-8534-7CF8CEC8CAB5.jpeg

265F222E-DE91-4531-BBF9-9C6EB6945E2F.jpeg

Now he does not have to wait for me to have his espresso when he is here…. Eventually, when we finally move here, we will bring the other machine. So at that point we will have a fully functional spare! And yes, the other one gets torn down and parts will be stash in a bin…

Last edited:
A tool for moving trailers and trailer-like objects around the shop:

20221108_002622ss.jpg20221108_002531ss.jpg

Ball height is adjustable over a 12" range in 1" increments. Adjust up to 7" by pulling the pins. Flip the bracket over and reinstall the ball from the other side for more range. Should be able to handle roughly 1 ton of tongue weight. Still need to finish provisions for bolting it to the pallet jack, and drill the pins for hairpin style lock clips.

In the background of the first pic is one of the "trailer-like objects". It is an old gen-set frame that I got for scrap price. Will be turning it into a rack to hold steel stock, sheets/plates up to 4x8 feet on edge and bar/tube/channel/angle from 4 to 10 feet long. Rollers on one end, the other end will have a rudimentary "hitch" (just a stub of 2" pipe that will fit over the ball).

@jmkasunich
I really like your trailer mule. :clapping:

Regarding the "L" bracket piece, I'm wondering about it's construction. Is it a two piece weldment or . . . ???

It seems to me that pallet jacks are underappreciated in the hobbyist arena and clever adaptations like yours could help change that.

@jmkasunich
I really like your trailer mule. :clapping:

Regarding the "L" bracket piece, I'm wondering about it's construction. Is it a two piece weldment or . . . ???

it seems to me that pallet jacks are underappreciated in the hobbyist arena and clever adaptations like yours could help change that.

The "L" is a short piece of some very heavy angle iron that I have had laying around for years. Legs are 4 and 6 inches, and it is 3/4" thick.

I very much agree that pallet jacks are under-appreciated. They can lift far more than an engine hoist, for less money, and much safer. Of course, they only work for stuff that can be lifted from below, so it isn't truly fair to compare them to an engine hoist. But I'll take a pallet jack any day for all-around lifting and moving.

Back